Why become a member? ×

Fuzz and Octave down pedal

Musky

Anyone had any experience of either the Danelectro Black Paisley or Behringer SO400 Super Octaver?

A friend is being asked to get a fuzz and octave down for the band he's in. I suggested the Danelectro French Toast because I know some people on here really seem to rate it, but just checking it's actually an octave up pedal. So looking about, it seems that the Danelectro or Behringer might fit the bill for a cheap pedal. They both appear to be distortion plus octave rather than fuzz, but I'm wondering if they've got decent levels of drive and sound any good with bass.

Any ideas?

if he's loaded, im selling one of the best analog octavers available...

the behringer wil be terrible no doubt, OC-2 is the best way if you want it cheap

the french toast is cool

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='175102' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:09 PM']if he's loaded, im selling one of the best analog octavers available...

the behringer wil be terrible no doubt, OC-2 is the best way if you want it cheap

the french toast is cool[/quote]

Cheers Kev.

Yeah he's loaded, but also very tight. The two probably aren't unconnected. :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='176841' date='Apr 15 2008, 08:48 AM']do NOT get an mxr blue box for bass[/quote]

why not :)

i had a play with a guitarist friend of mines on my bass and to be honest (I know its 2 octaves down+fuzz) you could get some really glitchy weird fuzzy noises out of it which i liked and some usable ones IMO on the G and possibly the D strings IIRC. I wouldnt rush out and buy one but it was fun to have a mess about with

[quote name='nick' post='177009' date='Apr 15 2008, 01:13 PM']Have you considered EHX Octave Multiplexer?[/quote]

Yep, I've got one of those (and a micro synth and Korg G5, which would both do the job). Only it's not for me - a friend is being urged to get something suitable for a few songs to fill in for a recently departed keyboard player. And as I hinted at, he's looking to do it on the cheap. :)

I might just suggest the Black Paisley, since nobody seems to have tried the Behringer and there's not really anything else that can be picked up on the cheap.

[quote name='Musky' post='177028' date='Apr 15 2008, 01:45 PM']Yep, I've got one of those (and a micro synth and Korg G5, which would both do the job). Only it's not for me - a friend is being urged to get something suitable for a few songs to fill in for a recently departed keyboard player. And as I hinted at, he's looking to do it on the cheap. :)

I might just suggest the Black Paisley, since nobody seems to have tried the Behringer and there's not really anything else that can be picked up on the cheap.[/quote]
What's cheap? The EHX is about £45 which seems not bad, though three times as much as the Behringer (who have also brought out an OC-3 clone, the SO400).

I'm currently keeping an eye out for an octaver, as it happens. The best one I have in my possession is a Zoom RFX-1000 multi-effects which does a very good job of tracking and has a nice clean tone (don't want a distorted or synth sound, if I want it distorted I'll do it myself) but I'm undecided about whether to go rack or pedals. Could anyone tell me what the Zoom B2.1u is like on octaving?