Why become a member? ×

Interesting Fender 51 RI Precision

I wonder how this sounds?

This is similar to a conversion I have on my 51 RI Precision. Mine has a pair of Seymour Duncan SPB3 Quarter Pounders fitted which I think is more in keeping with the original concept of the bass. I wouldn't have chosen jazz style PUs myself.

I opted to have three way switching on mine rather than the blend knob as I found the switching works very well on my G&L L2000.

If this one is as good as mine it'll be a cracker and with no reserve, a possible bargain. I can tell you that there's almost £1000 invested in mine. (Including the £600-ish it cost new)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-51-Precision-bass-Made-Japan-2007-10-gigbag-new-pickups-Excellent-/290686015895?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43ae3c9997

I'd be interested in peoples opinions on this.

Frank.

It a pretty strange position to lob that bridge pup in. I'd imagine it would add an extremely nasal quality.
If he wanted a jazz sound why not just buy a Jazz instead of wrecking a perfectly good 51.

Having said that I have a dual 51 pup project under way (better pup placement though). :happy:

I'm always reading on here , people criticising Fender for making too many models/options, yet people still feel the need to chop up a perfectly good Bass. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical, I just find it amusing.

When you can buy every possible configuration of guitar you can think of, why do this. I've never seen a bass like this sell, and recover even half the money spent.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332533111' post='1589821']
It a pretty strange position to lob that bridge pup in. I'd imagine it would add an extremely nasal quality.
If he wanted a jazz sound why not just buy a Jazz instead of wrecking a perfectly good 51.

Having said that I have a dual 51 pup project under way (better pup placement though). :happy:
[/quote]

Ohhh. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of that one.

In my opinion, that ebay bass is just another experiment on a Fender bass. I don't subscribe to the view that it's either right or wrong. It's a one off, it might sound fantastic or it might disappoint. My own two PU 51 Precision, while different to this one, sounds fantastic, and I enjoy trying this kind of thing and keeping an open mind on what might or might not work.

Rick. I can see what you're saying but in my case, I enjoy the mods to my 51 because I think it might have been done by a hard-up musician in 1960 to attempt to copy the jazz bass by adding a bridge PU.

Each to his own.

So far, all opinions are negative. Anyone like it?

Frank.

...I like it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beerholder, depending on yer circumstances) but surely you should be allowed to do whatever you want to your instrument? If the original owner decided he wanted an extra pickup/bridge/ashtray/rear view mirror on his '51. so be it. I'm always amazed when having the occasional peep on the Ric forums, how aggressive people get when they see the tiniest of modifications -the vitriol is amazing!

For most of us, a Bass is our tool (settle down, you filthy minded lot!) and if we feel we have to modify it to make an 'improvement' then why not?

I'd like to hear what this puppy sounds like...

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332606938' post='1590660']
I don't have a problem with the concept, I do however think that the implementation on this particular one could have been slightly better.
[/quote]

You could be right.

There's something rather intriguing about the way this thing looks...but I really should get out more.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1332543428' post='1589996']
When you can buy every possible configuration of guitar you can think of, why do this.
[/quote]

But, but... you can't buy a Fender 51 RI with an identical pickup in the bridge position and that's why it was done to mine.

The three way switching gives you the original sound plus two other sounds, both of which are lovely and very usable. Switching to both PUs gives a very sweet sound for the quieter songs and slaps well. The bridge PU isn't as close to the bridge as the ebay one and so it's not nasal sounding at all. The Seymour Duncan SCPB3 pickups are full and rich with a lovely deep thump.

Mine is a brilliant bass. just how the ebay one would sound I obviously don't know. I was just surprised to see it because I really thought mine would be a unique beast. :) Well, it still is. :blink:

Everyone will have different opinions on this and that's fair enough.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1332610763' post='1590732']
But, but... you can't buy a Fender 51 RI with an identical pickup in the bridge position and that's why it was done to mine.
....[/quote]

Yep that's what I'm building too.
This ebay one has J pups which (apart from the positioning) makes this build a bit of a mystery - why not just put a P neck on J instead of depriving the word of a lovely '51?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332622468' post='1590927']
Yep that's what I'm building too.
This ebay one has J pups which (apart from the positioning) makes this build a bit of a mystery - why not just put a P neck on J instead of depriving the word of a lovely '51?
[/quote]

Yep. I agree. I wouldn't have removed the original PU either.

In my case I was concerned to keep the original single coil PU concept. I know the most popular mod is to add a J PU but the other less common mod on post '57 Precisions is to add another P style PU. (Lee Sklar?)

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of the Ou7shined "double P".

Frank.