Why become a member? ×

C1900 German Flatback - Sold

A friend of mine has asked me to spread the word about this 1900ish German fatback that he wants to sell.

The neck is quite chunky, the fingerboard is painted so I can't say what the wood is, probably rosewood

It has a big sound

I've got the bass here at my house in Harrogate if anyone would like to see it.

[size=5][s]£3000[/s] now [s]£2750[/s] now [s]£2500[/s] :o[size=5] now £2000[/size][/size]

[attachment=102764:erez.jpeg]

Edited by Mr Bassman

[attachment=103171:photo-6.JPG] [attachment=103172:photo-8.JPG] [attachment=103173:photo-7.JPG] [attachment=103174:photo-5.JPG]

I've just been asked about the dimensions of this old bass

l.o.b. 42 1/4"

upper bout 20 1/2"
centre bout 14 1/2"
lower bout 25 1/8"

ribs 8 1/8"

mensure 40 3/4"

string spacing at nut 1 3/8"
at bridge 3 3/8"

I'd say it's set up for arco

Strings are mixed set of A & D spiro E & G unsure, would benefit from new strings.

There have been usual repairs to cracks and the neck / peg box which all seem sound.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,
You seem to know your stuff with regard to what instruments you use and DB's that you have, so maybe you can cast a view on more detail of your friends DB in terms of construction, woods, etc. and all the necessary stuff us potential buyers need to know before we commit......bearing in mind 2700 is your asking price....

S

Yeah, I'm aware the pics I took are not detailed enough, I'll take some high def when time allows

I'm not certain what woods the back and ribs are to be honest. I'll see what I can find out

If any local guys want to drop by and give it the once over I'd appreciate their opinions on it.

The owner of the bass plays classical double bass as a hobby, he works long hours at his day job and is rebuilding a house on weekends so he hasn't much spare time, (unlike me :lol:)

I understand he has more than the asking price invested in the instrument but hasn't the time to give it the t.l.c. it deserves due to moving house etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's been some interest in the bass so here's a quick update

a bassplaying friend came round this afternoon to try some stuff and ended up playing on this bass for some time.

We're both impressed with the sound, I tried to uplaoad a video but failed.

Anyway this evening I thought I'd have a look at lowering the bridge and the sound post has dropped :(

so I'm off to the sellers house to borrow his sound post setter and look in his spare bridge drawer.

I'll try and get the fingerboard and action sorted by the weekend if anyone is still wanting to come and try it

Be back later tonight

HI Daf,

I wondered about that, it defo has a block, could be a later addition, looks newer wood

been peeping inside with mirror & torch and all repairs seem professional with neat cleats etc.

there are no open seams or cracks

just been having a play with lower action, it's lost a bit of the massive thump as to be expected but the potential is there.

I'm quite liking it :)

There's a guy fairly local to me was using a "blockless wonder"

haven't heard from him for a while

I'm enjoying playing on it, the set up isn't by any means final, I just picked a bridge that was lower and fitted the top, put the sound post where I thought it should be and tuned her up.

It's the fattest neck I've ever played & could be just right for me