Why become a member? ×

GS112 + DB112

essexbasscat

Hi all

I have two an Aguilar GS112 which has worked well up to now with my Peavey MKIV head.
When trying it out with other amps however, I've found that the GS112 doesn't expose some of the mid frequencies very well.

Others on the forum have said that the GS series speakers have a very noticable mid -scoop, while the DB series tend to be more even across the frequency range.

At a glance, the DB112 and GS112's appear to be quite similar in size. Are they similar internally ?

Thing is, I have another GS112 cab with a blown speaker. Before I go replacing the speaker with a recommended direct replacement (I hear that eminance are good for these) I'd be interested to hear if there is a simple upgrade to the GS112 that can be made (I.e. an alternative speaker ?) to help expose some of the mid frequencies better.

Is it just a case of an alternative replacement speaker ?

Thanks all

Perhaps a NEO speaker?
They tend to produce a bit more mids than their ceramic cousins.
The reason the GS cabs scoop the mids a bit at volume is to do with the cab design, from what I've heard, that sacrifices a bit of mids for the surprisingly huge low end extension.
A NEO cab might be just the ticket though.
Not tried it myself but I used to own a GS 112 back in the day...

Eude

GS112 cabs are a bit hollow in a mid frequency... I get past that with brighter strings..and then they are fantastic.
Whether that is the answer for you is an other question.

Not sure I'd run a DB and GS together myself... even though the chassis speaker is the same so a NEO may be an alternative.

FWIW..I might be selling 2 GS cabs and maybe a spare chassis speaker....haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the replies Eude and JTUK

I like the low end frequencies of the GS112, as it suits my Peavey MKIV head and Precision nicely.

However, the GS's almost mask some of the tonal range of an Eden or Markbass head IME. When I heard an Eden WT550 through a Berg AE212, the difference was profound when compared to the GS.

That said, the GS appears to present a more vintage sound which I like. But I also would like to have the option of a slightly more modern, but warm, sound.

I guess what I'm after is a cab for all purposes, but I'm not sure there is such a beast.

Thanks again

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1331930248' post='1581219']
In that case, I'd be tempted to look into an alternative speaker for your cab.
Maybe PM Gilento as he might have put a NEO in a GS112 cab..IIRC. and he is a very helpful chap as well.
I brought my spare GS speaker from him
[/quote]

Top man, cheers !! :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1331948852' post='1581435']
The GS112 and DB112 have the same speaker and tweeter and are exactly the same size, except the DB112 is 1" deeper.
[/quote]

Thanks Chris, that's both interesting and curious to hear. I've heard elsewhere 'round 'ere that the DB's (if you'll pardon the expression) express the mid frequencies rather better than the GS's.
Yet the deeper cab of the DB's would intuitively seem to work the other way around. However, I do realise there's much, much more to it than that. I'm just a little surpised I suppose.

I guess the only way I'm going to find out about the DB series is to take an Eden head along to try one out somewhere.

Thanks again Chris