Why become a member? ×

strings

jimmybass04

hi guys just another question regarding strings,
iv been playin upright for about 12 years, its had the same steel strings on it from when i got it, i dont know what kind they are, but the guy who fitted them at the time said they were good for playin jazz, which is the reason why i bought the upright. i was thinkin of changin my strings , as i now play a lot of swing ,country type stuff to, i dont really slap a lot but like the idea, iv been readin a lot about the silver slaps, and wonder how they, or any other string will change tone ,feel etc, . would these older strings make intonation more difficult too, it just seems that way.
thanks in advance for any expert advice. jimmy.

I'm a DB newbie still so I know next to nowt really :)
i wanted to get that real old 50's bass sound but didn't want my strings to be really low tension,I was recommended Innovation super silvers & they fit the bill very well indeed.
lovely warm thumpy sound,medium tension,good for my fumbling attemps at slapping,sound great for old rock 'n' roll tunes & also sound mega on the couple of Johnny Cash songs we play.
these are about £75.00 new
not sure how they compare to silver slaps but i think tone wise they're pretty similar just the slaps are lower tension.

Edited by artisan

Honeys are more of a jazz string IMHO, I've got them on my bass at the moment, they're very good strings for the money, sound good bowed too, slightly lower tension than 'light' steels but not much in it.

I had Silver Slaps on before the Honeys. Again, I think they're a really good set of strings, lovely warm sound great for old American folk type sounds, lower tension than I wanted but they make sense if you slap a lot. I still haven't tried Super Silvers but I do plan to, they could be ideal for you if you want that sound but don't slap much, apparently they sound like the Slaps but have a more 'normal' tension. Still more flexible than most hybrids though.

The other option you'll likely hear recommended is the new Cordes Lambert set, but they are only available in limited numbers at the moment, I think there's a waiting list.

I've been using Thomastik Spirocore for years now and really like them. I find that they're great
for Jazz and also very nice for playing arco too. I don't slap much on gigs but when I do,they work.

A friend of mine recently recommended Pirastro strings to me,I cant remember which set though(it was either
the Obligato or Oliv). I might have to try them out though.