Why become a member? ×

Aaargh - Warwick truss rod!!

GregBass

Help!! I recently bought a 2005 Warwick Corvette Active which looks and sounds great, but badly needs a setup. Unfortunately, it seems that a previous owner has been a little "over enthusiastic" which has resulted in the Allen fitting at the top of the truss rod being virtually completely stripped. Does anyone have any idea how I can adjust the relief without risking further damage?

'Most' Warwick truss rods are user removable (ie no need to be thinking of taking the fingerboard off etc.) so worst case scenario you can replace the rod and they aren't mega expensive. Loads of info on the Warwick forum about the various models and how to remove them.

It always amazes me how many people will just grab the chattiest Allen key and rive away at a truss rod rather than spend a little time (and only a couple £) to get the correct size key (you can get a pukka 'W' T bar but they are expensive when a good Allen key will do).

I've heard of folk tag welding a nut or socket on the end of the existing (knackered) socket but it would be a fine job and you'd need to ensure you didn't burn any of the headstock.

It'd be interesting to know when they stopped (or which models aren't removable) doing the removable rods!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331847242' post='1579966']...
It'd be interesting to know when they stopped (or which models aren't removable) doing the removable rods!
[/quote]
As you know, with Warwicks there's never a simple answer to that sort of question. But the rule of thumb seems to be that if your bass has a volute then the trussrod is probably not removable. Volutes seemed to come in around 1997, so anything after then probably doesn't have a removable trussrod. Most basses from before 1997 probably do have a removable rod, but I'd guess that might not apply to the early ones; we'd need someone with lots of experience of early Warwicks to be able to tell us. ;)
So, WH, what's the story with the old ones?

I know that early ones 'can' be removed, however despite having owned many early Warwicks I've never had a duff truss rod. There are reports of failures with some alloy rods in early basses but they should have been sorted by now or they just aren't likely to fail by now. I knew that rods in some basses toward the back end of the 90's couldn't be removed easily and that would tally with the addition of the volute around that time.

The odd thing with Warwick is that there is so much transition between models/years/upgrades that as you say Mart there isn't a definitive answer re. any aspect of Warwick ownership. I was asked a question recently re. the profile of Warwick necks and they are so varied that it is literally impossible to give a definitve answer.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331895479' post='1580488']
I know that early ones 'can' be removed, however despite having owned many early Warwicks I've never had a duff truss rod.
[/quote]

My first Warwick (a Corvette Proline 6) had the truss rod fail. Warwick blamed it on the neck construction (laminate, mostly maple) saying it wasn't rigid enough, and replaced it with a mostly-wenge neck with a volute for free, and sent me T-shirts and gig bags and stuff to say sorry.

• 8 years later...