Why become a member? ×

Checking the truss rod "ettiquette"?

Fuzzbass2000

I'm looking at a bass at the weekend with a view to buying.. It's a private sale, and I don't think the seller is on these forums (hard to believe eh!).

One of the things I'd like to make sure of is that the truss rod's works ok. It's one of the old style "loosen the bolts and pop the neck" Fenders - which can be a bit dauunting to someone who has not done that (I'm comfortable with it).

Is it appropriate to do this.... would you be ok if a potential buyer wanted to do this in a private sale?

Which then led me to the question, would you do the same in a shop?

I know what I want to do, but am curious of others opinions..

Cheers

Edited by Fuzzbass2000

Interesting one. Is it a proper vintage (as in old, not the budget make) bass? If so, taking at apart to get as much provenance as possible seems reasonable, to me at least!

I you do take the neck off, how will you test it's okay? Do you just want to be able to check it turns in both directions a bit, returning it to "neutral" afterwards?

I am very sceptical about pulling necks off basses more than you absolutely have to - it's all wear on important fixings. I think it's simply a matter of discussing your concerns with the vendor. If they say no, I don't think it makes them a bad person - you just have a slightly trickier decision.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1331809713' post='1579128']
If I was the seller then I would be ok with the request, but I'd be the one doing the dismantling and testing. It's still mine until the money changes hands after all.
[/quote]

I have a feeling that the seller probably wouldn't want to / know how to do this themself

[quote] Interesting one. Is it a proper vintage (as in old, not the budget make) bass? If so, taking at apart to get as much provenance as possible seems reasonable, to me at least!
[/quote]

It's "new" (mid 2000s ) vintage - so not super old - but still enough cash for me not to want to throw money away.

Yeah I would check the adjustment of the truss rod but without pulling it apart. If its set up ok for neck relief then no need to open it up, there's always a risk when you take a guitar apart that you'll weaken the neck joint anyway - each time its unscrewed a little bit of sawdust falls out...

If its far from optimal I would suggest that they get it taken to a luthier and set up properly before you buy it (same goes for a music shop - they are usually happy to do this). That way you'll have the guarantee that it is as close to optimal as it can be and you'll have a realistic idea of how it can play, plus if there is any problem with the truss rod the seller gets the bad news, not the buyer...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1331816141' post='1579314']
If the neck relief/action/set-up is close to optimal (for you) in the first place, I'd not bother. If it's going to need lots of adjustment, then ask them if they've ever touched it. Given it's not that old, I doubt it will have seized..
[/quote]
This ^