Why become a member? ×

What are the benefits of an active circuit?

smurfitt

[quote name='smurfitt' post='174061' date='Apr 10 2008, 06:07 PM']I know there are opposing opinions on which is best but I just want to know what the advantages are of an active bass.[/quote]

The main advantage is an increase in signal strength (not necessarily volume) that increases the signal/noise ratio, and drives longer leads and multiple effects with less signal loss. There are lots of variation of active circuits but having 2 band/3 band/parametric/filter tone controls gives you much more control over tone from the bass as opposed to the simple treble roll off on most passive basses. But some say the active circuit colours the sound.

[quote name='smurfitt' post='174061' date='Apr 10 2008, 06:07 PM']Does operating the active switch whilst playing increase volume?[/quote]

Depends on the pre-amp. Lots dont have a switch - none of mine do. The switch on most is a failsafe for a flat battery rather than switching between passive and active when you are playing.

[quote name='smurfitt' post='174061' date='Apr 10 2008, 06:07 PM']When should it be used?[/quote]

Whenever you want. Mine are on all the time cos I cant turn them off.

Edited by bass_ferret

the main advantages are

1) Less signal weaking when using long leads
2) More tonal flexibility (loads of options depending on how many knobs you want to play with)
3) Additional element of colouring if you want it (thinking of the mid scoop character of the Aguilar onboard pre's)
4) Additional element of compensation for pickups if you want it (thinking of John East's preamp buffers allowing the player to compensate for different pickup output levels).
5) More knobs to twiddle and blame when you play a bad note.

The question of gain is dependent on whether you can set it via a trimpot inside the control cavity. There are some instruments you can switch the preamp in and out on, but if you're using large amounts of boost when you normally play anyhow, that feature is going to be of limited usefulness probably.

Switching in and out whilst playing just gets you aloud pop and more output...

Why would you want to....?

My PRSs are switchable but I use them with it on in the active input on my Mesa.... or in teh passive input with it off and no its doesnt sound teh same..... Has far more depth with it on....

My active Fender P is a nightmare when its on but beautful when played as a pasive P .....

My (new to me) Ovation is only active (pluging in the jack activates the preamp) and is just superb.....

If you have a weak amp or are playing lightyears away from it then, active is means to an end but it is necassary?

Nope...

A more verastile amp and pre amp (even a valve driven preamp stomp box) make more difference than adding an active cricuit ....IMHO of course... :)

One way of looking at the active/passive issue (loyalties) from my perspective is this:

The signal from a simple pick up on a solid bodied bass needs amplifying if you want anyone to hear you play.

You can use many means of pre-amplification in your signal chain before the signal goes to the power amp. Onboard pre-amp, outboard pre-amp or pre-amp in your amp.

So to say a passive bass is somehow 'different' is true until it hits the 1st pre-amp in the signal chain and then it's an active signal coloured by the pre amp anyway.

So that would challenge the passive is better argument.

Anyone like to comment, have I got it wrong?

Peter

Well I don't want to sound too magnanamous but the issue isn't really about what's better, it's just preference from what you've discovered you favour. As someone said earlier, it differs from bass to bass. From my experiences I'd never make my Jazz into an active and I'd never consider making my Musicman passive either, neither is really better, that's just what I think functions best. Going back to the point of the thread, as someone who dosn't use pedals I can't see any distinct advantage with actives myself. I suppose if I had to say something, I would say having actives does give me a way of cutting or boosting any particular frequency bands which I can't quite hit with my physical pre-amp (the actual unit, not the bass circuit), also I suppose live if I need a bit of a bass/treble boost/cut during a song I suppose I could implement it quicker using an EQ on the bass (but this can pretty much be done with passive controls anyhow), but it's not something I've ever considered curcial, better or particularly advantageous.

G

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='174180' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:05 PM']For me, it makes a bass better at cutting through the mix at loud gigging levels.[/quote]

I don't think that is particularly specific to the active circuit. On which ever active bass you are playing you're just be boosting certain frequencies which, in your case, fill a certain space in the mix and consequently mean you 'cut through' more effectively. [i]Any[/i] EQ controls available to you, not specifically active ones, could just as easily be used to do this, the semi-parametric EQ on Eden amplifiers/pre-amplifiers is a brilliant tool for this kind of thing.

G

[quote]Any EQ controls available to you, not specifically active ones, could just as easily be used to do this, the semi-parametric EQ on Eden amplifiers/pre-amplifiers is a brilliant tool for this kind of thing.[/quote]

Effectively the EQ on amp/pre amps is active as I understand it.

Passive tone shaping is cut only, no boost (ignoring Villex for the sake of confusing the issue) so projecting a frequency through the mix isn't going to happen with passive bass mounted controls or in fact any 'passive' shaping.

I do think the point I was trying to make here, which may be better placed in its own thread, has been missed.

It could just be that it wasn't very well made :)

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Yeah sorry if all that got a bit confusing. I know this may sound pedantic but I think it's relevant; don't forget that even when you're cutting frequency bands with passive controls you're effectively boosting others. Psychoacoustic research has revealed several interesting features of human hearing, one of which being that when you cut a certain frequency from a sound, the brain percieves the other frequencies as louder. As I understand it, this means even with a passive tone control, as far as humans can hear you may as well be boosting frequencies. If you're still not being heard after this then perhaps increase the volume. Of course, on an active instrument you can boost different frequencies by a far greater amount, that, to me, would be the advantage of actives. But, as you said Peter, it's really just down to the signal meeting pre-amplifcation a little earlier than the section on the amplifier head etc., so I don't think of them as better or worse.

G