Why become a member? ×

will...

gti1396

...the volume/tone knobs of a musicman fit onto my squier? i want to replace the standard ones,

also, i have a rattle when i play my A string open, first it was a faint rattle, but it has gradually got worst. if i place my finger on the fret board? (picture below) the rattle stops, also if i play a chord/note, the rattle stops.

thanks, :)

They should be std pots so tentatively yes to the knobs....

A string sounds like that classic "Fender straight head insufficient break angle thing"

Normally (easily) solved by fitting new strings leaving LOADS of extra string at the tuner and back winding it down as close to the headstock to increase the break angle over the nut.....

Alternatively fit another string tree to catch all 3 strings......

No the musicman pots wont fit because they are wired to a circuit board and the jazz control plate is the wrong shape.
However years and years ago (1980's, maybe before that, i'm not sure when) they used to wire them just as loose pots like in your jazz but they would be fairly expensive, hard to find, and even harder to find given the fact that since your control plate has 3 holes not four, you would need to find the 2 band EQ (volume, bass, treble) which you rarely ever can as most people buy the 3 band (volume, bass, mid, treble). If you can find it and afford it congrats but personally i doubt you will and if you can you won't be able to afford it.

EDIT: oh and all musicman circuits are active (except the passive sub but that's wired to a circuit board so again that wont fit) so if you did buy one you'd need to find somewhere to fit the battery and i'd be willing to bet you wont fit it under that control plate so you'd have to route a cavity in the back for it and drill a hole through. I'm thinking that's a lot of work for a squier and ultimately won't be worth the time and money if you can do it. So that's a no really...

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='174254' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:50 PM']No the musicman pots wont fit because they are wired to a circuit board[/quote]

It's the knobs not the pots he wants to swap. The knobs aren't wired to the circuit board; they're attached to the pot shafts!

[quote name='Muppet' post='174510' date='Apr 11 2008, 01:24 PM']It's the knobs not the pots he wants to swap. The knobs aren't wired to the circuit board; they're attached to the pot shafts![/quote]
Some people get them mixed round sometimes.... usually people that aren't too good on the tech, if he means just the metal knobs to replace the plastic ones then yeah. If he means the actual pots no.

[quote name='gti1396' post='175099' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:08 PM']cheers guys, string problem sorted :)

just need to get some musicman knobs now![/quote]

Schaller ones are similar, not identical. They're solid brass, have slightly more domed tops and little divots to show the control's position. Normally retail at £5 a piece.
Available in chrome, gold & black.

I've got some on my Squier VMJ.
The extra weight over the bakelite / nylon items feels good when you use them.