Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine Available on Apple Newsstand iPad/iPhone

bencooper

Hello Basschatters!

Just a quick note to let those of you know who aren't aware that Bass Guitar Magazine is now available for purchase on Apple's Newsstand.

There are a range of pricing options, from single issue purchase and quarterly subscriptions to a full annual subscription. One issue will set you back £2.49 and a year's sub is £16.99.

To see more about this go to http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bass-guitar-magazine/id503152295?mt=8

On your Apple gizmo of choice, go to your Newsstand app, click on Store then Categories and search for Bass Guitar Magazine. Download the app which is free, and then look at which kind of purchase option you require. PLEASE NOTE (and I'm not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs here), the app is free BUT you do have to pay for the magazine itself as detailed above.

I hope you enjoy the iPad/iPhone version.

all the best,

Ben

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331214103' post='1569506']
thanks for the heads- up but I'm not sure about reading it on a tiny screen like an iphone
[/quote]

Hi Geek99,

I understand your trepidation about that. Having seen the mags in action on an iPhone I can tell you they're not as difficult to get around as you might think, and actually look pretty good. Obviously on an iPad it's a much more pleasant experience, I won't lie.

What I'm going to try and do is see if we can get a back issue available as a free download, then people like yourself can have a look at one and make an informed decision on it. I'll update this thread as soon as I find out if that's possible.

all the best

Ben

[indent=1]Nice work. Reading in a certain other thread would have you think transferring to a digital medium is an impossibility![/indent]

[indent=1]Something wrong about sitting on the bog with your iPad though... :P[/indent]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1331216051' post='1569562']
[indent=1]Nice work. Reading in a certain other thread would have you think transferring to a digital medium is an impossibility![/indent]

[indent=1]Something wrong about sitting on the bog with your iPad though... :P[/indent]
[/quote]

Well, it's certainly hard to use it as backup bog paper. One of the great advantages of print, though I suspect the paper would tend to smear than absorb... :)

I did look this up and note the subscription cancellation terms seem to need you to remember to cancel 24 hours after last sub ends or it automatically renews ? Unless you opt out of course. A couple of nag screens would be helpful perhaps ?
Yes a sample would be good, I was a print subscriber once

Are you in any way affiliated with them ?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331217115' post='1569603']
I did look this up and note the subscription cancellation terms seem to need you to remember to cancel 24 hours after last sub ends or it automatically renews ? Unless you opt out of course. A couple of nag screens would be helpful perhaps ?
Yes a sample would be good, I was a print subscriber once

Are you in any way affiliated with them ?
[/quote]
He's the editor, mate :)

"Are you in any way affiliated with them ?"

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331217417' post='1569616']
He's the editor, mate :)
[/quote]

Wot 'e sed! :)

Yep, I'm the Editor of BGM. Just to clarify are you concerned that if you subscribe you might forget to cancel your sub quickly enough, and you'd like a reminder email? Or is it that the terms aren't made clear enough, and you had to scour some small print to find that out? Let me know and I'll see if anything can be done on that score.

cheers

Ben

Sorry - didn't know that - when I had a subscription it was nick wells ?
Clarity is always good - I read the terms (I'm a law graduate) and I thought that I was pretty much guaranteed to forget to cancel three months on, with such a tight time window if I wanted to do so , so a nag screen or an email would assist me

Some people won't read that opt out and will be upset that they got billed again so a nag mechanism might prevent some (unjustified) complaints over it

Btw I stopped taking the print sub as the free strings offer applied only to new subscribers not renewing ones and the price per issue was much worse. Someone at bgm called and made a vague "we'll sort something out" offer but never got back to me

Edited by Geek99

No problems. Nick left the magazine back in September, and I guess if you're not reading the mag regularly you'd be unlikely to know. I have stuck my head up here a few times over the last few months.

Thanks for the heads up. I will feed this back and find out if such a mechanism is in place. I'll be back shortly.

ta

Ben

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1331219207' post='1569673']
Sorry - didn't know that - when I had a subscription it was nick wells ?
Clarity is always good - I read the terms (I'm a law graduate) and I thought that I was pretty much guaranteed to forget to cancel three months on, with such a tight time window if I wanted to do so , so a nag screen or an email would assist me
[/quote]

You're a law graduate? I am amazed then that you missed the small print, ie, Ben Cooper's signature :P

Just a quick follow up for the iPhone users - we're just investigating putting up a free sample via Newsstand so that you can see what the magazine would be like to navigate on your phone. It may just be a feature or two to give you a feel of it, rather than an entire issue, we're not sure yet. At the moment we're just waiting to hear back from the tech bods on how we do this and get it live.

The sample will also be available for iPad users too of course.

I'll update when I have more solid news.

cheers

Ben

Edited by bencooper

That's great news Ben - the Jazzwise magazine app has been a big success (yes I work for them just so you know) and I would second the comments regarding the new iPhone's 'retina display' actually makes reading text more than bearable - and the iPad will doubtless be excellent - the cool thing with the apps as well is that you can download the whole issue to you phone/ipad and read anywhere, even without an internet connection...

Hope it goes well Ben - it's a good way to reach an international readership too - and you don't have to rely on the frigging post man to deliver your latest issue!

M

Hey Mike,

Well sales for BGM on Newsstand are already going very well, though obviously they've only been up for a week or so. I can also proudly say that BGM is selling the most of all Oyster House's magazines in this format, which is great news! We'll be getting some analytics in soon so we can see if we're reaching overseas audiences as well as domestic.

Geek99 - I've asked for that to be clarified. I have been told that when you take a digital subscription you get push notifications about new issues and so on (if you agree to them, you can decline I believe) but I don't think they tell you if your sub is due to lapse. Sorry for the vagueness but I don't handle the technical aspects of the digital stuff.

cheers

Ben

I was chatting to the girl on the BGM stand at the LBGS and asked her if they did an ipad version of the mag and was quite surprised to find out that they did!
She was aware of the problems with the ill fated ibass magazine and was quite sympathetic to those who were being left in the lurch by them.
Unfortunately, I couldnt buy a subscription for the ipad edition at the stand, and therefore, did not qualify for a free t shirt! :(

Edited by Hobbayne

Never really bothered with Bass mags but this looks interesting.
Ill maybe wait and see if there are any back issues/article i can have a look at first but the price seems very reasonable compared to most in this format.

Mike. If i download the app now will there be some form of notification in it if you do manage to get some samples up?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1331304999' post='1571123']
Never really bothered with Bass mags but this looks interesting.
Ill maybe wait and see if there are any back issues/article i can have a look at first but the price seems very reasonable compared to most in this format.

Mike. If i download the app now will there be some form of notification in it if you do manage to get some samples up?
[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Mike's a (very valued) freelancer for BGM, so wouldn't be able to answer that question (I don't think...sorry if you can Mike!).

Yes, if you download the app now and agree to get push notifications, once the sample is available then you will receive a notification, and then you can have a look and see what you think.

Talking to our IT manager he expects the sample to be up next week. I will post here as soon as it goes live too.

best

Ben

I've just signed up for a 3 month sub. First impressions are good and bad. The content is great, even for someone like me who doesn't read bass mags I can see quite a bit to keep me I interested.
Unfortunately it's the act of reading that I don't think I'll get on with. There seems to be a lot of wasted space, making it a necessity to keep having to scroll around all the time. It's a shame the top and bottom tool bars can't be hidden to reclaim some more space (if this is possible please correct me).
It's also a shame that the images aren't higher resolution. Zooming in to read the text means the images get blurry. I've not seen this with other publications and find it off putting.

I expect this is down to the system used, and IMO its lacking the usability of other publications ive seen, so it's probably out of your control but I'm not sure I'll continue with my iPad sub, I will probably sign up for the paper version though. either way I'll stay a customer.

Good luck with it, I'm sure it will be a success.