Why become a member? ×

*what do you look for in an (onboard) preamp?

LukeFRC

playing with my crappy garageband version of a hpf.... and wow, the interface doesn't work very well, but well enough to get what a system like the ACG can do, I could sit there, think of a tone in my head and then fiddle and make it happen! I can imagine with a filter per pick up and a treble stack..... :D

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1331645371' post='1576435']
I've just fitted a John East P-Retro. Still fine tuning the settings but very impressed so far - I use it in full passive mode quite a lot too.
[/quote]

I couldn't get my head around a P bass with more than two knobs

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1333058172' post='1596931']
Is the glock still for sale ? I may be interested.
[/quote]

nope fraid that went pretty quickly. my warwick is currently sat naked without a preamp or knobs waiting on me saving up a bit more...

(though the temptation to save up a bit more and track down a whole bass rather than a new pre is quite strong)

• 2 years later...

I like the initial question. I'm looking to buy a pre to replace the OBP-3 I'm using now. I've narrowed my choice to a Noll TCM3-P and the Taurus TM2. What is the consensus here between the Noll, the Taurus and the AGC 01?

Edited by Cholly

[quote name='Cholly' timestamp='1398266446' post='2432259']
I like the initial question. I'm looking to buy a pre to replace the OBP-3 I'm using now. I've narrowed my choice to a Noll TCM3-P and the Taurus TM2. What is the consensus here between the Noll, the Taurus and the AGC 01?
[/quote]

If you really need a pre-amp in your bass (and I'm not always convinced that you do) I'd go for the ACG because it works in a way that can't be replicated by the tone controls on a decent amp.

...not so much a need per se but I like being able to manipulate tonal parameters from my instrument because playing in church I've played as a visitor at other churches and the equipment I played through was different from my own. I enjoy the versatility. Over there on the continent you have ACG and there's also Taurus and Noll as top level onboard preamps. My question is addressed to those who have experienced all three...Noll, Taurus, and ACG.
Thanks

When doing the majority of my gigs, I'm playing in a covers band with a very wide repertoire, so for convenience I like to be able to control the EQ on the bass rather than the amp (although with the new Jamup/iPad setup I have, there are a zillion easy presets for all sorts of amps and FX chains - for example, one finger tap is all I need to go from a bog-standard SVT rock sound to Tony Levin's Sledgehammer with Octaver, Compression and all sorts of hoo-hah).

To return to the point, tho, the best onboard I've found for that is the East U-Retro: sweepable mids, a passive switch and passive EQ. I've got one in each of my main gigging basses now, and I'm even considering the heinous step of drilling holes in my Dingwall to squeeze one in... :unsure: :D

Edited by Muzz