Why become a member? ×

Fender Dusty Hill Signature Precision Bass

TransistorBassMan

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1331738586' post='1578044']
Dave [i]had [/i]been using an Epiphone Explorer in Eliminator, and I doubt very much he'd fork out for one of these, in fact I [i]know[/i] he wouldn't in a month of Sundays.

I like the bass myself, simple, functional, and dare I say it, stylish, I think it looks great. Waaaaayyyy too much though.
[/quote]

I've only just seen this thread. You're 100% correct. I wouldn't insult the rest of you or my own self respect by paying anything like that money for such a simply made thing.

Rayman's right about the Explorer - which features dice knobs he supplied me with as I recall - but more usually it's a Fender Japan Blue Flower 54 reish. I've no idea if Dusty ever used one but it seems a ZZ Toppish thing to use and I like it.

Re. this bass though - what I hate most - to the point of real annoyance - is the decal being the right way up!!!!! That's f****g awful. If you're going to do a job , do it right. Commercially driven decision and the absolute wrong one. Twats.

Here's me and the Blue Flower

and the Epi Ex

Edited by Dr.Dave

This has gotta be the coooooolest post I've seen so far on basschat.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1338814677' post='1679548']
I've only just seen this thread. You're 100% correct. I wouldn't insult the rest of you or my own self respect by paying anything like that money for such a simply made thing.

Rayman's right about the Explorer - which features dice knobs he supplied me with as I recall - but more usually it's a Fender Japan Blue Flower 54 reish. I've no idea if Dusty ever used one but it seems a ZZ Toppish thing to use and I like it.

Re. this bass though - what I hate most - to the point of real annoyance - is the decal being the right way up!!!!! That's f****g awful. If you're going to do a job , do it right. Commercially driven decision and the absolute wrong one. Twats.

Here's me and the Blue Flower

and the Epi Ex

[/quote]

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1338819055' post='1679625']
Love the jacket- is the beard attached to the hat like a Jimmy Wig? :lol:
[/quote]

No - but it#s a bloody good idea!

It glues to my face (I have to shave my own shorter goatee beard off) and blends with my own moustache. The beard pulls off easily but the glue's a bitch.Usually 2 or 3 days sticking to my pillow before it goes flaky enough to shave off. I have to explain to folk not to be alarmed and there's nothing wrong with me because it looks like leprosy or something.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1338819421' post='1679629']
No - but it#s a bloody good idea!

It glues to my face (I have to shave my own shorter goatee beard off) and blends with my own moustache. The beard pulls off easily but the glue's a bitch.Usually 2 or 3 days sticking to my pillow before it goes flaky enough to shave off. I have to explain to folk not to be alarmed and there's nothing wrong with me because it looks like leprosy or something.
[/quote]

Wow :o !!

If Robert DeNiro was was in a ZZ Top tribute band, he wouldn't go to these extremes! ( Mabe a Texan accent/gun in his boot...)

Get the beard/hat combo man- save your face!!!

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1338822683' post='1679666']
Wow :o !!

If Robert DeNiro was was in a ZZ Top tribute band, he wouldn't go to these extremes! ( Mabe a Texan accent/gun in his boot...)

Get the beard/hat combo man- save your face!!!
[/quote]

But Robert de Niro is a 'method' actor. He lives his role out by becoming his character. He'd grow the long beard - not wear a false one.

I was on about method actors on here just the other day. Dustin Hoffman stayed awake for 2 nights before doing the famous dentist scene with Olivier in Marathon Man. He looked a mess - knackered (as he wanted to) but kept falling asleep during the shooting. Oliver went up to him and said 'if you learned to act properly , dear boy , you wouldn't have to put ypurself through all this' !

I'm with Olivier.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1338823585' post='1679686']
But Robert de Niro is a 'method' actor. He lives his role out by becoming his character. He'd grow the long beard - not wear a false one.

I was on about method actors on here just the other day. Dustin Hoffman stayed awake for 2 nights before doing the famous dentist scene with Olivier in Marathon Man. He looked a mess - knackered (as he wanted to) but kept falling asleep during the shooting. Oliver went up to him and said 'if you learned to act properly , dear boy , you wouldn't have to put ypurself through all this' !

I'm with Olivier.
[/quote]

This is because Olivier came through the theatre where doing the same show night after night does not allow the 'Method' styles which can be indulged on film. Acting is not real, it is story telling. Olivier understood this and was not prepared to go mad for his art. We had types at drama school who would stay in character while off stage. or thinking that having some kind of mental break-down was part of the process... Grief! Just attention seeking.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1338823585' post='1679686']

I'm with Olivier.
[/quote]
Same ! Although I would say that Bobby hasn't really done anything too extreme for a while , well not the films I've seen him in , Focker!

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1338829523' post='1679767']
Same ! Although I would say that Bobby hasn't really done anything too extreme for a while , well not the films I've seen him in , Focker!
[/quote]

If you'd been honoured in the highest way possible you'd be resting on your laurels too. It's not everyone gets mentioned in a Bananaramamamamaarama song!

ZZ Top always have the coolest instruments but if I played in a tribute act I'd just use a Butterscotch 51 P-bass. I like the look of that but for that money I could go to the States with my girlfriend, see ZZ Top, come home and buy the aforementioned 51 Precision with the change...

I wouldn't think that bass is worth the price, not even if the man himself presented it to me.
I do like Tele style headstocks. Prefer them the right way up for those quick tuning incidents onstage.

Does anyone else think that the last couple of ZZ Top live DVD's have been rather thin on bottom end?
I was rather disappointed with them. If you look at the Rockpalast DVD, that's far more like it.