Why become a member? ×

Preamp Design/Build

Davebassics

I've had a few conversations with various bass chat members about my preamp design. I'm doing it as a dissertation for the my degree.

I got it up and running today, hurrah! Still in its simplest form but I can't tell you how relieved I am. So much so, I've decided to share it with the world. Check it out on YouTube [url="http://youtu.be/QXhuo2SRonM?hd=1"]HERE!![/url]

I would have loved to document the work more but it would have been far too difficult for me to keep up with the workload.

Deadline is next Friday but I'm not looking to do anything major to it before then. Anyone got anymore long term ideas for it?

mate - that is a lovely bit of work.

very tidy construction and a niiiiice sound.

long term ideas ? could you get it all onto one board and put in a 1U case ? team it up with a power amp and you'd be away.

Edited by ahpook

I'm in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire atm but tend to get around a lot.

Working out resonantly well, got a bit of supply ripple in the signal line and the FR of the bass control is a bit (ok, quite a bit) off. Deadline is fast approaching so trying to keep my head down!

Long Term Idea's:
Distortion circuit in series with a variable band bass circuit. (Then wired in parallel with filter circuits). Then have a separate distortion output for studio work.
Revise EQ's, make more efficient.
Separate Line In for reamping
Compressor (wouldn't know where to start tbh!)

• 4 weeks later...

It's coming along nicely. It's on holiday atm at university getting marked. Fitted it into a quality street tin (pic attached)

The filters have some issues. Below the centre frequencies on the band bass filters, when summed, they cut if boosted and boost if cutted ... If that makes sense. I've attached a pdf which should hopefully make more sense of that. If anyone came up with a reason/solution for this, I'd be eternally grateful.

The two mid frequencies were designed to cut out some resonant frequencies from my bass, the bass and treble were designed to be boosted.

[attachment=103881:photo.JPG]

Edited by Davebassics

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1333310215' post='1599938']
Aye! Well it's a hobby that I want to take to the next level, so there is no harm in being ambitious!

There won't be a huge amount of progression over the next couple of months while I finish uni. Then the real work begins!
[/quote]
Aye! Well it's a hobby that I want to take to the next level, so there is no harm in being ambitious!

There won't be a huge amount of progression over the next couple of months while I finish uni. Then the real work begins!
[/quote]

Ok cool , i ll try to have a look from time to time , keep up the good work

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1333364500' post='1600508']
Yeah, there is slight concern! I could PM you a copy of the schem if you think you could offer insight.
[/quote]

I'm afraid I'm just an electronics bodger and wouldn't have a clue! Ask in the DIY effects thread- some real experts in there!

[/quote]

It's worth remembering that anything you create while you're at uni is actually the uni's property for (I think) 5 years.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1334056239' post='1610146']
It's worth remembering that anything you create while you're at uni is actually the uni's property for (I think) 5 years.
[/quote]

I'm planning to redesign the vast majority of the circuit once im finished anyways. Not happy with this first design!

I agree. In no way shape or form does my current design have any commercial potential so I'm really effected (give me 10 years).

I would imagine that there are large numbers of students who come out of uni with a product they could take into a market, I feel sorry for them.

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1334215740' post='1612540']
I agree. In no way shape or form does my current design have any commercial potential so I'm really effected (give me 10 years).

I would imagine that there are large numbers of students who come out of uni with a product they could take into a market, I feel sorry for them.
[/quote]

I came out with an idea and a product to pitch but not all the skills needed. It's going to take a few more years programming experience and research/number crunching and then I'll have to find the right company to pitch too :)