Why become a member? ×

NEED ADVICE ON FENDER JAZZ PLEASE :)

petercomfort

[quote]Edit: Coming to think of it, I don't believe Fender Precisions have ever had a "Contour body" logo... Maybe a Fender Expert will correct me on that?

For reference, this is what a genuine 1978 Fender P headstock looks like, with a seven digit serial number usually starting with "S8" (there may be some S7s as well):[/quote]

Well it's becoming a mystery because i've seen this exact type of headstock on basses in some Vintage and rare shop in Denmark St (the one that looks like someones old front room stuffed with classic instruments). I know, because i commented to the guy that my head looked just like this with this "long number" underneath, but no serial number, he said thats the patent number, the serial no will be at the base of the neck or inside the body somewhere. I've always known it was a bit different but thought nothing of it, it plays like a dream. I bought it around 1988-90.

It was recently worked on by Martin of Sei basses at the Gallery, i'll give him a call to see what he thought when i get chance.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjay69/6406515165/sizes/l/in/set-72157628162331605/"]http://www.flickr.co...57628162331605/[/url]

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1329927067' post='1549896']
Well it's becoming a mystery because i've seen this exact type of headstock on basses in some Vintage and rare shop in Denmark St (the one that looks like someones old front room stuffed with classic instruments). I know, because i commented to the guy that my head looked just like this with this "long number" underneath, but no serial number, he said thats the patent number, the serial no will be at the base of the neck or inside the body somewhere. I've always known it was a bit different but thought nothing of it, it plays like a dream. I bought it around 1988-90.[/quote]

I'm by no means an expert, but the serial number was on the neck plate until late 1976, when it was moved to the front of the headstock.

Various pre-1976 decals did have patent numbers under the Fender logo:

There's a few possibilities here.

1. Your bass, or at least the neck, is a 1980s 62 reissue.
2. Your bass is some other kind of Fender P (1978 even) with an aftermarket replacement decal.
3. Your bass is not a Fender, but has had an aftermarket decal applied.

Any chance you could post a photo of the neck butt?

Edit: I just had a look at the photo you linked in the last post...

The "patent numbers" on your bass appear to be:

236,930 3,236,930 3,260,148

These aren't correct when compared with the 1961-65 logos. Also the typeface of "PRECISION BASS" (not to mention its positioning) is significantly different.

I know Fender got the decal for the 1980s reissues slightly wrong, but I'm tending towards options 2 or 3. Probably 3.

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1329925769' post='1549866']
I think it's unlikely, given the level of correct detail... Why go to the bother of furnishing it with a correct neck code if you're going to couple it with an unconvincing body?
[/quote]

I agree it's unlikely. Either way, one couldn't really call this a 'genuine' bass.

That said, how much do 70's necks go for these days? Maybe its worth parting out at £750?

Well it's becoming a mystery because i've seen this exact type of headstock on basses in some Vintage and rare shop in Denmark St (the one that looks like someones old front room stuffed with classic instruments). I know, because i commented to the guy that my head looked just like this with this "long number" underneath, but no serial number, he said thats the patent number, the serial no will be at the base of the neck or inside the body somewhere. I've always known it was a bit different but thought nothing of it, it plays like a dream. I bought it around 1988-90.

It was recently worked on by Martin of Sei basses at the Gallery, i'll give him a call to see what he thought when i get chance.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjay69/6406515165/sizes/l/in/set-72157628162331605/"]http://www.flickr.co...57628162331605/[/url]
[/quote]

As others have said, early pre-CBS (ie pre 1964) Precisions had the Spaghetti logo on them. But 70s Precisions all had a version of the bold "TV" logo.

And I'm pretty sure no Precision has had the "original contoured body" logo on the headstock.

Here we go regarding the neck:

Blocks and binding were introduced in 66

The large block decal goes on the P and Jazz from 69 and was changed to the smaller size fron 76. At the same time the serial number moves from the neckplate to the face of the headstock under the logo.

From 75 onwards, the jazz 3 bolt neck becomes the norm. This looks like the neck on the bass in question due to the truss rod.

So, I reckon it`s a 75 or 76 neck. All info from the Fender bass book aka "fender bass bible."

Jez

[/quote]
Hate to say it but something about the shape of that headstock doesn't look right either. may be wrong there