Why become a member? ×

Sandberg love

TRBboy

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1341921450' post='1726160']
why did you have to post all those pictures? i've got serious Sandberg GAS now! a PM5/VM5 (am i right in thinking they are actually the same bass?) would suit me perfectly, people have mentioned that the necks are lovely and slim, anyone able to give me a comparison with the Ibanez sr 5-string necks?

it's a good thing they don't do a sonic blue without the relicing as it would dent my bank balance pretty hard and pretty fast, going to have to wait paiently for one to pop up in the for sale section here in a finish i like.

Matt
[/quote]

Marley Blue highgloss no good to you?

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/images/product_images/popup_images/Sandberg-California-VM-4-RW-MB-HG_4.jpg

I would be surprised if you saw a used one pop up though!

• 1 month later...

Although they've moved to having "Sandberg" pickups and preamps, I'm 99.999% sure that the pickups are Delano (or possibly made to their spec by someone like Harry Haussel), either way AFAIK they don't wind their own pickups, so they're definitely made by someone else on an OEM basis. As for the preamp, you only have to take the backplate off to see those unmistakable red components, which are without a shadow of a doubt Glockenklang. There's obviously some benefit to having the electronics branded as Sandbergs own, but whether it's a price benefit from the supplier, or to allow a greater degree of flexibility for changing supplier, etc, etc, I don't know.

Edited by TRBboy

Ahhh. I shouldn't be worried about picking up a more recent/new in stock one so, rather than looking for new old stock/2nd hand ones.

It's almost a shame you never see their straight V(P)5's in stock anywhere. Then again, I've a habit of modding P basses to have bridge pickups so might be for the best that it's already stock that way.

Are they hard to get replacement hardware or pickguards for?

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1347224941' post='1798314']
Ahhh. I shouldn't be worried about picking up a more recent/new in stock one so, rather than looking for new old stock/2nd hand ones.

It's almost a shame you never see their straight V(P)5's in stock anywhere. Then again, I've a habit of modding P basses to have bridge pickups so might be for the best that it's already stock that way.

Are they hard to get replacement hardware or pickguards for?
[/quote]

All of the hardware and pickguards, etc are readily available (and fairly reasonably priced IMHO). Most of the hardware is shown on Sandberg's webshop http://merchandise.cottoncontrol.com/browse/sandberg-guitars/en,0,308,0,0.html , but I would just contact Synergy if there's anything I want. I've been considering getting a replacement bridge for my KT, because they've improved the design this year.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1347231621' post='1798417']
All of the hardware and pickguards, etc are readily available (and fairly reasonably priced IMHO). Most of the hardware is shown on Sandberg's webshop [url="http://merchandise.cottoncontrol.com/browse/sandberg-guitars/en,0,308,0,0.html"]http://merchandise.c...,0,308,0,0.html[/url] , but I would just contact Synergy if there's anything I want. I've been considering getting a replacement bridge for my KT, because they've improved the design this year.
[/quote]

Ahh! That's dead handy, like the look of their new knobs too. Been looking at a Cream VM5 Supreme(at Thomann), amongst a few others. Think it could look awesome with the hardware and pickguard blacked out.

EDIT: Then again, it looks so good stock, I dunno could I mess with it.

Edited by Darkstrike

Have just purchased a second hand jj5 ash body, birds eye neck from Mark at bass direct.
I am really pleased with this bass and totally shocked at how good it is.
My other bass is a Nordy vj4, and while the sandberg does fall short with finish and weight i think it amazing for the money ! Punchy full and clear from top top bottom!
Would now recommend this brand to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1348306030' post='1812060']
I asked for a quote on two basses, on two occasions, and I still haven't heard back from Synergy.
[/quote]

I'm surprised about that, they're usually pretty quick to respond. I'll drop Alan a line and bring his attention to it.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1348351361' post='1812744']

I think he's been away so seems I was just impatient haha.
[/quote]

Ha ha! I think we all have a tendency to be impatient when it comes to satisfying GAS!

Hopefully he's been visiting Sandberg HQ and trying to hurry my new bass along while he's there. I know he said he was going over sometime in September.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1348351361' post='1812744']

I think he's been away so seems I was just impatient haha.
[/quote]

Just heard from Alan via email. Turns out he's fallen off a ladder onto concrete and nearly died! Hence he's been off the radar for a while recuperating.