Why become a member? ×

Luthier in Bristol who would let me watch my bass being setup?

Mornats

Good afternoon basschatters,

I want to treat my Overwater/Tanglewood jazz to a setup as I think it needs a bit of adjustment to get it playing perfectly. However I'd really like to be there to watch it being set up so that I can learn enough to do small tweaks myself. I'm not quite sure how many luthiers would be willing to let me watch as it could end up with them getting less business from me!

So, anyone know of anyone in or near Bristol who does first rate setups and is willing to let me watch or even show me the basics?

He lets me watch and learn, but he is having a wicked busy bit currently. Best bring chocolate biscuits. And phone ahead with your plan, as most stuff he has queued up and stuff that is tweaks he does on arrival. He'll lecture you at length while doing it, best read all his website stuff first, understand the concept of tempered tuning. Don't request anything unless you know why you want it.

Also how are the frets on it? Fret dressing is a kind of bigger job that will likely get queued.

Frets are fine, it's quite new (bought it in September last year). I'd love to just describe (or demonstrate) how I play and what I think I want out of the setup in terms of action and have him set it up based on that. Whomever I pick, I'll definitely call in advance to arrange it to make sure the luthier is happy with what I want. I know a lot of them will take it away for a few days or a week to get it done so need to make sure I can book a time in where I can go down and sit with him. This isn't the sort of thing you can just turn up and expect!

Thanks for the heads-up about the choccie biscuits too :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1330190936' post='1553984']
I dropped into Rickaxe Guitars whilst in Bristol today and had a chat with the guy in there (didn't get his name but he's the main guy). I'm tempted to take it to him, anyone have any experience with them?
[/quote]

Every time I've had to deal with him he has been a massive douchebag. I took Mr. Dreadful there to show him amps, and the guy told him he didn't want a simple valve amp because he had a pointy guitar. There was a guy working there that did decent setups for basses, but he doesn't work there any more.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1330190936' post='1553984']
I dropped into Rickaxe Guitars whilst in Bristol today and had a chat with the guy in there (didn't get his name but he's the main guy). I'm tempted to take it to him, anyone have any experience with them?
[/quote]

Yeah dont bother, Eugene who used to work there was an awesome bass player and reasonable tech, but since he left, I havent even looked in. The owner is a bit of a pratt.

He seemed ok other than to go on about how he's only one of 200 people worldwide who really know how to set up a guitar properly. If the other guy was Eugene then I've had Eugene set up my fretless for me (bang-up job it was). He's now working at Treblerock. I'm actually now more interested in just a good setup more-so than learning the basics.

• 6 months later...