Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee's bass tone on Power Windows

endorka

Guest bassman7755

IMO most recorded bass sounds are as much a product of the studio engineering (micing/di/eq/compression etc) as they are the actual bass/amp/whatever so quite often you can never replicate the sound even with exactly the same kit. Especially since studios can do a lot of things that are hard to replicate easily such as multiple parallel signal paths and recording at very high volume levels with amp and/or speakers pushed to the limit etc.

Edited by bassman7755

The sound is very much reminiscent (to me) of Flea's on Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Both Wals and heavy attacks too.

Having said that, I much preferred the BSSM sound. Doesn't work for me on this Rush album.

Edited by HMX

• 11 years later...

zombiethread3.jpg.23b96ef5d95cd01c621aec6226d9136a.jpg

On 03/12/2012 at 23:31, Muzz said:

I'm the other bloke who likes Tai Shan. All these years, I thought it was just me...

I'm the third bloke who likes it, and yes so did I :lol: 

On 06/12/2012 at 19:02, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Aargh! Noooo! That's two of you.somebody help,)

Sorry :lol: 

Wow, old thread. The engineer/ producer I have worked with most often engineered this record at AIR Monserrat. I’ve pressed him for the gear over the years but all he can recall was each member of the band had a tape machine plus slave each and he used 36 mics on Neil Peart’s kit. Suitably excessive and in keeping with the times I think.