Why become a member? ×

Warwick battery life?

leftyhook

About how many gigs can I get out of a Duracell battery running a Warwick in constant active mode?
My Wal gives me about 4- 6 months of 3 gigs a week. Great consumption that's hard to beat, I know.

I've only gigged the Warwick once to date, so have no idea when a battery wil eventually go

ta

Does you bass have an active by-pass? At least when then battery starts to go, you can switch off the active circuit until you get a moment to change the battery.

My Warwick cover clips on and off in seconds (no screws), so it really is a 20 second job to change a battery.

Be aware that when the battery goes in your Warwick bass, your stops working... regardless of passive mode! :o

Not a lot of people realise that it's only the $$ + one or two others that are truly passive when battery dies. The way to check is to remove your battery and try to use it; you'll likely find that there is no output. This is due to the fact that your pups (with the exception of the $$ as indicated) have a preamp built in and as such need power to work.

As for time that they last; ages! I tend to fit new batteries at Christmas (present to your bass) and even when I was gigging just one of my basses, a couple times a week (+rehearsals and home use), I still had plenty juice in the battery after a year (use the discarded batteries in your non-essential items like a tuner).

And it also might be useful to know that when you switch into "passive" mode, the battery is being drained just as much as when you're in "active" mode (even if your pickups are passive). The bypass switch just switches the output, but the preamp keeps working away.

Edited by mart

In spite of the pre still drawing current whilst bypassed, I've always got good battery life from my 3 Warwicks. They're all 9v EQs, and do seem to last about 2 years or so. That'd be about right, given that they all get used in rotation, along with the others.
I am more cautious with the Fortress Masterman, as it has 2 EQs to run. It doesn't have a bypass, though.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329218382' post='1538860']
Be aware that when the battery goes in your Warwick bass, your stops working... regardless of passive mode! :o

Not a lot of people realise that it's only the $$ + one or two others that are truly passive when battery dies. The way to check is to remove your battery and try to use it; you'll likely find that there is no output. This is due to the fact that your pups (with the exception of the $$ as indicated) have a preamp built in and as such need power to work.

As for time that they last; ages! I tend to fit new batteries at Christmas (present to your bass) and even when I was gigging just one of my basses, a couple times a week (+rehearsals and home use), I still had plenty juice in the battery after a year (use the discarded batteries in your non-essential items like a tuner).
[/quote]

Leftyhooks vette (used to be mine!) has passive pups so should work without a battery.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1329312691' post='1540438']
Leftyhooks vette (used to be mine!) has passive pups so should work without a battery.
[/quote]

'If' the pups are true passive and not the MEC active pups then yes it should work when/if a battery dies (assuming it has the push/pull pot to bypass the EQ) but the easiest way to establish is simply to unplug the battery and try the bass; as I said in my OP there are a couple of exceptions (the most noticeable is the $$) to the rule! :D

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1329313638' post='1540452']
Mine works without a battery, but then it's a $$. Not sure about other active models.
[/quote]
[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329313671' post='1540455']
... there are a couple of exceptions (the most noticeable is the $$) to the rule! :D
[/quote]

Synchronised posting! ;)

never measured it with my Warwicks but should be consistent with your WAL. I just change them every few months regardless and give the used batteries to our guitarist as spares for his pedals!

The only time I had an issue with battery life in my 'Wick was when I converted it to 18v. Sound was marginally improved but battery life was terrible. Could be measureed in weeks! I pretty soon went back to 9v.