Why become a member? ×

Weird volume issue

Merton

Hello!

(Before I start, if this needs to be moved to Repairs... then please do so!)

RIght, I have a pedal board, nothing exciting compared with some of yours:

TU2 -> EBS Octabass -> EBS Unichorus -> Ibanez SB7 -> SansAmp BDDI -> PA (effected from BDDI)/Amp (clean)

They are all powered from a 9V DC mains adaptor using the [url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/gigrig-distributor-122-p.asp"]GigRig[/url] Distributor system, no batteries in sight. Bass is a Satus of some form, also run passive.

On Saturday my bass volume started fading in and out slowly (so slowly I didn't really notice til I thought "Wow I'm very quiet"). First time I noticed it my UniChorus was on so I thought it might be that. Second time there was no effect on at all (excpet the BDDI which was sending my rig a clean signal and the PA an EQ'd signal). Quick natter to the soundman, nothing else was having any issues but my volume issue was there both for my backline and front of house, so we took the pedals out of the chain and went striaght ito the BDDI, now off and running passive. Boom, volume back where it should be both backline and FoH.

Anyone ever come across anything like this before? I wonder if the power supply was getting hot and dropping its voltage but I also can't see that being the reason if I had the issue with all pedals off...?

I'm hoping to have some time to play with my pedalboard this week but with 2 kids on half term it might be difficult....

One last thing, last time i had an issue with my pedal board power supply, I was playing a gig in exactly the same room of the same hotel 3 years ago. And before that, about a year previously, was the first time I had pedal board power issues, also in the same room. Weird. (Each of those occasions necessitated a new power supply, I hope not again!!)

Well, we play 2-3 gigs a month and the only times I've ever had an issue has been in that room, 3 times in 4 years, but we run sooo much gear (full PA with subs, backline, monitors, lighting rig ewtc etc) and it's ONLY ever been my pedal board which goes wonky, I figured it was just a weird coincidence! My pedal board was running off a 4-way which was powering my backline and our rhythm gutiarist's amp and pedals too, none of that was affected...

I'm hoping to have a play with the pedals at home this week but not sure when, was just hoping someone had had a similar experience and could say "ah yes, you need to do x/y/z..." WIshful thinking probably, haha!

Edited by Merton

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1329151538' post='1537924']
Thats really weird... What about the current each pedal is taking? It's not trying to take more power than it can deliver?
[/quote]

Yes - check the maximum amps supplied by your power supply at 9V and then work out what each pedal needs...

Also might be worth trying some different patch leads between the pedals in case of a duffer.

Could be your pedals are close to or over the maximum ampage of your power supply, add that to a dodgy supply in a room full of high wattage equipment and I'd say the first thing you'll notice is on your pedals. The amps may not quite be getting all the power they need either but will still work OK. The low voltage pedals will show it more. Our practice room is wind powered and I get issues like this all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Devils advocate - was the soundman checking the level using a meter? Otherwise, it could be that during the gig more people came in and the extra bodies were soaking up all the bass.

During the break when you were chatting to the soundman they all wandered off and stopped soaking up all your lovely lows for your second set.

Just a thought.