Why become a member? ×

Bass to cab?

lxxwj

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1329072456' post='1536813']
I dare say that 10 or so boost pedals in a row should do the job. Not sure how it would sound, but if you used good quality pedals, cables & power supplies, then it would be an interesting experiment.
[/quote]

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74luQLg6Psw

(Needless to say, sadly it doesn't work like that)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1329072456' post='1536813']
I dare say that 10 or so boost pedals in a row should do the job.
[/quote]No need to experiment, the maximum clean output of ten pedals would be the same as one. Power amps are not optional. They are a necessity.
[quote]I dare say that 10 or so boost pedals in a row should do the job[/quote]For the cost you could buy a micro amp, and it would actually work.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

It's an amusing idea.

This is how it works. Your guitar gives out about 1/1000 of a volt from the pups. Your effects pedals may boost this a little but the most they will boost the voltage up to will be about 1V (most won't go anywhere near this) The maximum they could possible create by chaining them together (a la Bart Simpson) would be about 2.8V if you are running off a 9V battery or supply. Above this the battery runs out of volts. The battery won't let you have very much current either. You won't run 100W out of a PP3!

The amplifier takes the signal of around a volt and boosts it to 30V for a 100W output. It also will do this with all the current needed to provide this power.

You've got slightly mixed up between gain and power.