Why become a member? ×

Outrageous Prices (Bass & Guitar) Magazines

Stompbox

Well I could develop this into a rant, but I'll try to keep calm!

I thought I would treat myself to a Guitar or Bass magazine the other day and went for a mooch on the magazine racks - I picked up one that was a "Special Issue" from one of the big publishers and related specially to Gibson guitars.......

"Hey - this looks good" I thought.

Took it to the counter

"Seven Pounds 99p please" said the guy on the till.

Er - well NO...... EIGHT QUID - I Think not.

So it's interesting to see the iBass magazine concept.

The thing is, I still like to have a physical magazine to hold & flip the pages on though, but hey at £5 and £4 for most mags then it's a toss up between a magazine or strings/batteries/plecs etc.

How about us developing a "MagSwap" on this site? For starters I've got a load of old(er) Guuitarist, Guitar Buyer and Guitar & Bass mags I can put up for swaps.

The deal could be "I'll send you mine if you'll send me yours".... - yes I know, it's not for this section of the site, but I might put some on the Recycle Your Stuff section & see if there is any interest.

The thing I find especially annoying is the price of "Blokes" magazines - be it Guitar, Motorcycles, Model Making, Fishing etc. compared with the price of (many) magazines for women.

Is it more expensive to publish mags for us guys, or is it simply that women are more sensible & won't pay the crazy prices?

Grr....

:(

Edited by Stompbox

I think Stompbox has had a good idea. I have a stack of old bass (and one or two guitar) magazines and as we are hoping to be moving shortly I was just thinking about whether to shove them in the recycling or see if anyone else wants them. There are a few transcriptions in them and some decent interviews/reviews - and I know what you mean about the appeal of actually having a hard copy to stick in your bag to read on the bus/train/park bench.

Postage might need watching as it probably won't be cheap - but still worth having a think about.

Good thinking Stompbox - I'm off to make a list of what I have!

I used to buy them all - Bass Player and the UK Bassist. Did virtually nothing for my playing. Made me more aware of gear I suppose and also how much artists just use these as vehicles of promotion. My advice: save the money and spend the time you'd go into town for the mag on practising. Boring I know but you can find all the interviews and demonstrations you need on the internet. Also you'd be surprised how much these mags are influenced by advertisers... Steer clear and trust your ears and fingers.

[quote name='Stompbox' timestamp='1328964775' post='1535343']

Is it more expensive to publish mags for us guys, or is it simply that women are more sensible & won't pay the crazy prices?

[/quote]

The advertising makes up most of the profit for the magazine. A lot of womens magazines (fashion based - Cosmopolitan etc,.) have full page adverts on pretty much every other page from the likes of Chanel and Prada who have huge advertising budgets. The circulation of the magazines is probably also higher too.