Why become a member? ×

Mullard 883/12 AX7 Pre-amp valve.

REDLAWMAN

[quote name='Thornybank' timestamp='1328983020' post='1535702']
You would have to be, like a Managing Partner in a Legal 500 firm, or something, to be able to afford 6 Gold Lions.

But if you are up for it, I think can pull 6 out of my box for what they can go for on eBay.
Or top up Foxen's cute brace with 4 more....
[/quote]

Said the guy with a glass fruit bowl with THE most expensive display of valves I ever saw in my life! :lol: ;)

A wee question based on genuine curiosity (i.e. not a dig at the NOS market) - how much difference do you guys hear between old Mullards, Brimars etc and the modern Sovtek/EH/JJ valves in instrument amps? Or are the NOS more desirable for things like reliability and tolerance of high plate voltages? I've tried swapping 12AX7s around between new EHs and some old Brimars in both my guitar and bass amps, and can't really say I heard any difference. Mind you, both amps have quite low gain preamps which run fairly clean, and I haven't tried swapping different power valves.

If this goes on much longer, I'm going to the 'Classifieds' to swap my Wick for 3 pre-amp' valves, an MP5, a Browning 9mm and a parachute........

In the meantime, I've had a rather large shipment in of NOS Wigan-made 'w***offski' KT88's (circa 1860) if anyone's interested: I hear they're the bollocks....

Edited by REDLAWMAN

I've completely lost track of this thread now.
Conspiracy theories aside.
So do you want some Mullard 833 valves or have you got some now?
I think I have one, ex NATO NOS cryo treated and tested (by me, once) Mullard ECC833 valve in my box of bits.
I got it from Watford Valves a while back where I believe they may still be on sale...

Tried some of these,
http://www.hotroxuk.com/matched-valves-links-page-12ax7-6l6-909-0/preamp-valves-12ax7-ecc82jj-groove-tube-12ax7m-1885-0/tung-sol-re-issue-12ax7-set-of-5-mesa-boogie-triaxis.html
in my Mywatt 200. I did notice a difference. Not quite as much middle as the JJ ECC83s that it came with and I like that.

Try this for NOS or new valves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMqJeIukXtE
It's guitar but I could certainly hear the difference in tone and I guessed correctly.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1328951321' post='1535128']
Do you mean long plate rather than long pin? Pins have to be consistent to be compatible. Long plate is better for tone mojo, short plate is less microphonic so better in practice. Most of the difference is down to seeing the tone. I've had people demand to know details to they can tell how it sounds in favour of actual recordings.
[/quote]

longer plates = better current handling = less harsh break up = moer awesome = more doom

Switching an EHX to a NOS Mullard in my guitar amp preamp (very simple amp with two valves, single-ended class A, 4-5 watts) made a MASSIVE difference. Smoother, softer, earlier breakup, very much improved.

Switching the 6AQ5 output valve between NOS Brimar, JAN GE and Mullard, again a big difference. The GE were clean and clear, very classic "6V6 in a tweed Fender" sounding. The Mullard was again smooth, warm, compressed and with an early breakup. The Brimar was somewhere in the middle. I didn't compare any of these to current production, as NOS 6AQ5 are so cheap why bother?

This amp really shows a big difference between valves. Apparently Trainwrecks are incredibly sensitive to valve selection. My brother's Orange AD30R is far less sensitive. It really depends on the circuit.

Sadly, you really can't generalise and say "X valve sounds like Y". The circuit is the dominant factor. And, bear in mind, "NOS" for many valves actually covers a time period of several decades, and valves evolved during that time. Plus many of the big manufacturers had several factories, with different tooling in each, and rebranding valves was commonplace. GE made a lot of valves, sold by a lot of people. Mullard-manufactured valves have been sold under many names.

So the only solution is to buy a bunch and see which you like best!