Why become a member? ×

Headphones for In Ear Monitoring

Bilbo

I have just got hold of my 'entry level' IEM gizmo (Art Headtap) and now need to sort out headphones. My first thought is, where do I situate the Headtap and how long a headphoen lead will I need. I would prefer buds as closed back headphones may work on a drummer in the studio but, on a live double bass player are going to look a bit silly. What do others do to make the process discreet but convenient?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1328798115' post='1532807']
I have just got hold of my 'entry level' IEM gizmo (Art Headtap) and now need to sort out headphones. My first thought is, where do I situate the Headtap and how long a headphoen lead will I need. I would prefer buds as closed back headphones may work on a drummer in the studio but, on a live double bass player are going to look a bit silly. What do others do to make the process discreet but convenient?
[/quote]

I use some Sure E2cs with foam sleeves. I have them running down to an extension lead that runs to my Vbass unit (which will do the same thing as your Headtap). The extension lead is about 5m long and has an inline vol control on it. There is some signal loss when I use the full extension but I can increase the output on the Vbass to compensate.

Don't know what your budget is, but Westone have the UM range that is specifically designed as pro IEMs. The link here will give you some idea. Personally I use a pair of Westone 2 for normal iPod style listening (2 drivers in each side - awesome sound). The UMs are meant to be even better.

[url="http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/westone-man-41.html"]http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/westone-man-41.html[/url]