Why become a member? ×

Fender '62 Reissue

davebass66

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1328818509' post='1533283']
Hi all, i have a 62 reissue (and a custom shop light relic) the only thing i don't like is the black bottom part of the concentric controls, if anyone knows where i can get chrome ones let me know. The bass is great though, but i get earth hum on the bridge control. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

allparts do a set in chrome, but they wont "click" when you turn them

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1328818509' post='1533283']
Hi all, i have a 62 reissue (and a custom shop light relic) the only thing i don't like is the black bottom part of the concentric controls, if anyone knows where i can get chrome ones let me know. The bass is great though, but i get earth hum on the bridge control. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

Basspartsresource (USA) do genuine Fender ones but I don't know if they have the detented plate.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1328818520' post='1533284']
I don't know what the current retail price is for one (Someone suggested £1500 earlier in the thread), but a used one, sold privately, normally go's for around £700 for a late 80's or newer issue, you do the Math!

(An '82 V00 serial version will be much more of course, as people will always pay more for a very early Fullerton reissue with a couple, or even three 0's in the number!)
[/quote]

The current retail price is in the region of £1700. So if I understand the market correctly and used AV resissues go for £700 then a seller is expected to take a 60% hit give or take a couple of percentage points. Now I know after having done the maths. Thankyou.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1328825192' post='1533456']
The current retail price is in the region of £1700. So if I understand the market correctly and used AV resissues go for £700 then a seller is expected to take a 60% hit give or take a couple of percentage points. Now I know after having done the maths. Thankyou.
[/quote]

Its about the same for a custom shop instrument. My '58 Precision Relic, when released in 2005, had a RRP of $3999, which at the time was about £3300, I'm sure no-one ever paid that much for one, even brand new though. I'm now struggling to sell it for £1400!!!

Most things depreciate massively in the first 12-24 months, then stay the same. AVRI's have been around the same price for a few years now, and CS Relics have also been around the £1500 mark for a few years. Likewise Made In Japan Jazz basses or P's have been the same price for 10 years now.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1328825519' post='1533465']
Its about the same for a custom shop instrument. My '58 Precision Relic, when released in 2005, had a RRP of $3999, which at the time was about £3300, I'm sure no-one ever paid that much for one, even brand new though. I'm now struggling to sell it for £1400!!!

Most things depreciate massively in the first 12-24 months, then stay the same. AVRI's have been around the same price for a few years now, and CS Relics have also been around the £1500 mark for a few years. Likewise Made In Japan Jazz basses or P's have been the same price for 10 years now.
[/quote]

Thanks for this.

wow...didn't expect such a good response to this!

Thanks guys!....
Just to be clear, I wasn't haveing a pop at the shop for how much they are sellong it for - i fully appreciate it must be tough to compete with a markeyt such as BassChat!

Can't believe I hadn't seen JMT's for sale thread, I thought i'd done a search! would potentially be very interested in it!

Anyhow, I appreciate the response.....what are the pups like in them?...I currently have a set of Nordy NJ4SV's and or a set of wizard 64's I could put in it.....do you think that would make it more sensible for me to get a mex or Jap fender jazz and just convert? surely it wouldn'y sound quite the same if I retro fitted a stack knob plate would it? (sorry if that's a really stupid thing to ask)!

D

[quote name='JMT3781' timestamp='1328814714' post='1533190']
Good point... shops can't compete with private sales, simple as that. Remember, if they do get 1200 for it, the government are having 240 of that in VAT
[/quote]

Won't that depend on what the store bought it in at? 2nd-hand VAT margins and all that?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but wanted to ask a little advice.

I've got one of the newer American Standard Jazz Basses. I've added a thumb rest and ashtray covers so it looked more like a 62 bass.

I've often thought about sourcing some stack knobs to complete the look, but not sure what I needed exactly?
I'm happy enough with the pickups that cane standard, but what else would I need exactly?
Would it just be a new control plate and the actual knobs? Or would I need anything else for the wiring etc?

And where is the best place to buy the bits. I'd prefer Fender parts, but is there a complete kit, or would I need to get the bits separate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1328902706' post='1534742'] Sorry to hijack this thread, but wanted to ask a little advice. I've got one of the newer American Standard Jazz Basses. I've added a thumb rest and ashtray covers so it looked more like a 62 bass. I've often thought about sourcing some stack knobs to complete the look, but not sure what I needed exactly? I'm happy enough with the pickups that cane standard, but what else would I need exactly? Would it just be a new control plate and the actual knobs? Or would I need anything else for the wiring etc? And where is the best place to buy the bits. I'd prefer Fender parts, but is there a complete kit, or would I need to get the bits separate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. [/quote]

Search for a thread called "golden jazz bass" in the bass guitars forum... i did something very similar :)

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1328816220' post='1533219']

Post '61 should be .05microfarad throughout. The tone knob has a punched plate over a punched washer which gives the effect of notched control. I have heard of .03 being used prior to '62 but I cannot confirm this Can I ask where you got your data on the caps from?
[/quote]
An old diagram I saw once, coupled to the vagaries of my memory....!