Why become a member? ×

To five or not to five

razze06

I've been playing 5 longer than 4.

TBH for me those extra low notes come in really handy when playing with horns or keys, simply because of some of the keys they like to play in - it's good to have the low option rather than the higher.

The other place I find it very useful is working in covers bands where they transpose the key. Just makes it easier as you can shift a shape without thinking too much!

When I've played rock/metal I found I rarely ever used the extra string.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1328724990' post='1531774']
I just couldn't get on with the lower B. Going below E just sounded ugly and wrong. Of course for some music [i]ugly[/i] is good :blink: .
[/quote]

Well that's your opinion. I happen to think it's rather beautiful myself. But that's just me.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1328796499' post='1532768']
Thanks for all your contributions, I'm thinking of finding a nicely playable cheap 5er and try it out.

Tuning to BEAD wouldn't work, as I do a fair bit of work on the G string (oo-er) in several songs.
[/quote]

Good idea. Given that you appear to be of the peavey persuasion, I am reccomending that you try out a peavey Cirrus/millenium BXP. Nice players, and tonnes of low end.

I've played 5 almost since taking bass back up again after many years as a rhytm guitarist. I tried 4 string to start with but was immediately struck by the lack of bottom end playing in D. I'm also a lot happier playing at the 5th for E rather than open. Had always thought I should have gone the BEAD route as I found I hardly ever venture too high up the register until this week's rehearsal where for the first time to my ears the bass line needed to be up an octave. Was glad to find a rarely used G waiting for me!!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1328797668' post='1532793']
Well that's your opinion. I happen to think it's rather beautiful myself. But that's just me.

Good idea. Given that you appear to be of the peavey persuasion, I am reccomending that you try out a peavey Cirrus/millenium BXP. Nice players, and tonnes of low end.
[/quote]

I shall. I already use a Peavey grind BXP when I play with my old band in Italy, and I approve of the playability!