Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I go try out some coated strings?

LukeFRC

For years I used status hot-wires, brilliant strings
then found DR hi-beams which were brilliant and even better...
and then DR Fat beams, which worked like a treat on the middy P bass, but too much bottom end emphasis for the warwick
leased really well too, still on the P bass a year and a bit later. On the warwick loss of brightness was more important and I needed new strings, got about a years worth out of them but new strings were needed

so tried out the legacy £7 nickels which are actually really really good strings, and I liked the sound of the nickels too. But then... not so much dulling slowly like the DR's as just going dead sounding.

So starting to think about new strings.... and thinking status should be the way to go in terms of quality/cheapness. what are overwater's strings like in terms of construction/feel/sound (thinking a lot of these UK based strings from likes of overwater/status etc must come from same place?)

Or should I try some coated strings of some kind? what would folk advise before i blow £30 on a set of something?

I swapped from DR Sunbeams to Elixirs and really like them. The coating has never bothered me, although when it eventually starts to go it can be a bit annoying.

Over the last year I've been playing Fodera Wooten Signature strings a lot. Quite a light gauge of 40 55 75 95 but they feel really nice to me. I've also used their standard fit set of 40 60 80 100 which were also great but I slightly prefer the Wootens on the two basses I currently have strung with them.

I don't play 5 string but a top session & gigging pro I know recently declared their B strings the best he'd ever played - and this is a guy who's more particular about strings and set up than anyone I've ever known :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1328530935' post='1528469']
I swapped from DR Sunbeams to Elixirs and really like them. The coating has never bothered me, although when it eventually starts to go it can be a bit annoying.

Over the last year I've been playing Fodera Wooten Signature strings a lot. Quite a light gauge of 40 55 75 95 but they feel really nice to me. I've also used their standard fit set of 40 60 80 100 which were also great but I slightly prefer the Wootens on the two basses I currently have strung with them.

I don't play 5 string but a top session & gigging pro I know recently declared their B strings the best he'd ever played - and this is a guy who's more particular about strings and set up than anyone I've ever known :)
[/quote]

they don't look too expensive either, how long do they last, and where do you get them from? direct from fodera?
Feeling may try elixirs...

The Foderas seem to have lasted well, in fact I'm not sure I've had to change any yet!

I got mine through BassGear who are the official Fodera stockists. They are out of stock at the moment but about to order a new shipment - I was there last week and was talking about them to Phil the owner.

A vote for elixirs here. Not long ago I put a set on the stingray V and have been very very happy with them and no signs of the coating coming off. They are not super bright but more than enough for me, in fact I like the sound a bit more now they have died down a little more. Still plenty bright enough for slap and they cut through but the best way I can describe it is they sort of have a warm top end.

I have to use them, my sweaty hands destroy strings so fast. The only other strings that have held up are Super Slinkys. I mya go for a set of Ernie Ball coated strings on my jazz next heard really good things.

Definately worth getting a set.

I've never been a fan of elixers TBH. There is great durability in them but the out of the packet tone is just waaay too dull for my taste. Give them a go I say. Once bitten and all that.........
These new DR Dragon Skins are supposedly the mutt if you believe the blurb.