Why become a member? ×

Marc Berkshire

Quest_bikerider

Hi There to all.

This is my first post, Im a little nervous, so please be gentle Im a young 48 & have been interested in the bass guitar (which I think is a beutiful tonefull instrument,& very underestimated imo) for about 5 years. I had no previous musical knowlage before this time. Im just getting back into it after a lay off of about a year, I just couldnt fit it in due to family commitments.In a moment of complete madness a few years ago I bought a US Fender Jazz Deluxe active bass & a good practice amp (which cost a fortune), & now would like to do it some justice, a beutiful instrumen which Im a little imbarased I cant play properly i.e improvisationally. Again a few years ago I did a part time bass course at Bass Tech in London & a few lessons, plus I have played with other musicions far better than myself a few times but never gigged, Im interested in all music but like the rocky stuff most (must be my age). To be honest Im not really botherd about joining a full time band, but it would be nice to jam along every now & then. Am I completely off my rocker or should I learn the kazoo or something Is there a way forward, any comments good or bad very welcombe. Marc

Welcome to the forum Marc.
You'll get lots of encouragement and advice here. But some of it will be contradictory, so get those pinches of salt ready!

It's perfectly OK to enjoy yourself with an instrument 'home alone', but a lot of us on here will encourage you to play with others as often as you can. It really does fast-track your experience and learning.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Now't wrong with playing at home, but you'll never experience that wonderful moment when you lock in with a good drummer (no matter how good you are you won't always get that affinity with every drummer) so if you can get out there and play. "Foolishly" bought a bass? No such thing, at least not in theses pages, BC is all about GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and can be a detriment to your bank balance and domestic harmony :).

As for playing tips, learn to play whilst straddling the instrument using just your ring and little fingers. This will strengthen your back and fingers whilst improving your ear as you can't always see your fingers. Now where's that salt? :D

Oh yeah, welcome.

Disclaimer. Any playing tip given in this post should be avoided at all costs! How's that for contradictory?

Edited by ezbass