Why become a member? ×

Thumpinator and B flat

Dropzone

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1328008624' post='1520119']
[size=4]OK, nevermind the cab stuff, other than Happy Jack, has anyone else first hand experience of a 5 string bass through a Thumpinator? [/size]

[size=4]Did it mess with the low B or the low end generally?[/size]
[/quote]

I've recorded down to Bb with the Thumpinator - no losses!

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1328001452' post='1519993']
Marketing, or "lies" as it is also known, is something to take with a pinch of salt. If Mark Bass cabs go down that low then I will eat my hat. That's nothing against Mark Bass by the way. What you'll be hearing in the "loudness" of the low A won't be the fundamental anyway.
[/quote]

Yeah its definitely not producing much, if any of the fundamental of a low A.. thats like 20Hz or something silly like that isnt it? It's mostly low mids which their cabs are a BEAST for! Very lucky that I get such great results with my rig, seeing as I knew bugger all about it when i bought it, other than that it was light and the best sounding stuff I'd ever tried! :D

Hello everybody,

I’ll try to address all the points you raised.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1327918098' post='1518587'] (…) I really like the look of the Thumpinator but we tune to B flat. Would this kill my low note? (…)[/quote]

It shouldn’t. The low-Bb is on the limit of the Thumpinator cut frequency but it should go through untouched.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1327922680' post='1518677'](…) I'd also be interested to know if any 5 string players use the Thumpinator and what it does to the sound of the low B.
[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1328008624' post='1520119']
OK, nevermind the cab stuff, other than Happy Jack, has anyone else first hand experience of a 5 string bass through a Thumpinator?

Did it mess with the low B or the low end generally?
[/quote]

The Thumpinator filtering works on the subsonic content (below the fundamental frequencies of the 5 string bass). I use it with my 5 string (Sadowsky NYC) and the low-B sounds great in active and passive mode.

The low-B will not sound weaker, attenuated or processed. On the other side, because the subsonic content is removed, it is likely you will be able to boost the bass frequency without making the amp clip at low volume.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1327968723' post='1519831']
What's compression. I have a low pass filter on my Jeff Berlin. Does this work like a thumpinator. I am also using a mk1 barefaced compact and have been complimented on how low I can go.
[/quote]
I’m not familiar with the amplifier you mentioned but if it has a high-pass filter, it might do something similar to what the Thumpinator filter does. I would be surprised if the circuit is as sophisticated as the Thumpinator but it is possible.

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1328008917' post='1520129']
I've recorded down to Bb with the Thumpinator - no losses!
[/quote]
Thanks for making the test TG Flatline. I was almost sure about it but it nice to see the result of a real life test.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1327934793' post='1519007']
Whilst I don't have a Thumpinator, [b]the Genz Benz amps have a similar system built in [/b](one of the things I checked with Mr Benz before I bought as I was considering a Thumpinator at the time). We tune down a semitone and it has no noticable effect on the sound, just a solid low B/Bb.

As I understand it what both do is filter the ultra low harmonics that you cannot hear anyway, but that lead to big speaker excursions expending a lot of energy to no audible effect.
[/quote]
Do all Genz have an hpf? (wondering about my Shuttle 3.0). Would certainly make sense for the lower powered amps.
cheers
Jules

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1328224452' post='1524219']
Do all Genz have an hpf? (wondering about my Shuttle 3.0). Would certainly make sense for the lower powered amps.
cheers
Jules
[/quote]I believe so. I know I emailed the company and had an exchange of emails with [size="1"]Jeff Genzler [/size]himself.

I am sure when I looked at the manuals at the time it seemed pretty obvious what/where it was, but looking now I'm am not so sure. I think on the block diagram for the Streamliner it is the HPF before the master. Can't see that on the Shuttle 3 diagram, but I thought it was on all models.

Best bet is email Jaff/Support & ask.

Hi Silent Fly

many thanks for taking the time to respond. The Jeff Berlin has a:
[left][b][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"]VLE FILTER LEVEL CONTROL KNOB[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b][/left]
[b][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"]VPF FILTER LEVEL CONTROL KNOB[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"]Does anyone know if this does what a thuminator does? I just normally twiddle until it sounds ok?[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"]Ta[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"]Mike[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]

[left][b][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Bold"][size="1"]EQUALIZATION[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b][/left]
[left][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"]LOW shelf below 60 Hz; level: }16 dB[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]
[left][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"]MID LOW center frequency: 360 Hz; level: }16 dB[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]
[left][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"]MID HIGH center frequency: 800 Hz; level: }16 dB[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]
[left][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"]HIGH shelf above: 5 kHz; level: }16 dB[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]
[left][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"]VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) max. range cut: 250 Hz – 20 kHz[/size][/font][/size][/font][/left]
[font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"][font="MyriadPro-Regular"][size="1"]VPF (Variable Pre-shape Filter) center frequency 380 Hz (cut)[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1328267001' post='1524585']
Hi Silent Fly

many thanks for taking the time to respond. The Jeff Berlin has a:
[left][b][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1]VLE FILTER LEVEL CONTROL KNOB[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b][/left]
[b][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1]VPF FILTER LEVEL CONTROL KNOB[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1]Does anyone know if this does what a thuminator does? I just normally twiddle until it sounds ok?[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1]Ta[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1][font=MyriadPro-Bold][size=1]Mike[/size][/font][/size][/font][/b]
[/quote]

My Markbass F1 has the same controls. One is Low-pass filter for a solt of "vintage simulation". The other is a scoop control that gives a more modern sound.

Sorry for being a bit daft, but do either of these do the same as the thumpinator or is this something else again. the logic makes sense of removing the lower unheard notes and I am well known for shaking buildings and would rather turn this into hearable volume ;-)