Why become a member? ×

Don't be hasty!

stingrayfan

Since buying a Yamaha BB614, I've never got on with it. Just didn't sound or feel right to play. Great looking bass and superbly made but it didn't click for me. Then the other day, I gave it a DIY set up. Lowered the pickups, raised the action ever so slightly and tweaked the active EQ, boosting bass and treble but leaving the mid in its central notch. Now it's like a different bass. Feels great to play and sounds good too. And I was thinking of selling it. Moral of the story I guess - don't be too hasty flogging off your gear!

[attachment=670:bb614.jpg]

I hear you brother !!!

I have a warwick streamer 1988 i was gonna get rid of last year, lowered the action a bit a couple of weeks ago and now it's like a new bass.
It has every sound i'd want and i feel a much better slap sound than the thumb bass !!!

Also i had changed from trace elliot ah350 to a markbass head and it just changed the sound of the bass, so musical sounding !!

[quote name='Machines' post='17331' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:24 AM']When I first got my BB614 it was much the same - however I gave it a setup immediately and it was superb. Perhaps Yamaha don't do the instrument justice in the factory setup ?[/quote]
And I gigged mine last night for the first time and it was great. Not as much bite as my Stingray but much more range. Did a great grindy Precision/Rickenbacker sound on the bigger songs too. Will use it again! Set the inbuilt EQ to: Bass +80, Mid 0%, Treble +100%

this isn't about a bass (as such) but my dad wanted a new hifi because our old one (to be fair it was made in like 1970s) only worked in one speaker. So i thought to myself "ok well it's long past it's warranty now, may aswell try to fix it. Opened it up, looked inside and hey presto 2 fuses. Swapped them round and it worked in the other speaker. Went to the local euronics centre, got a 50p fuse and it worked! Not bad considering he was gonna scrap the whole thing and get a whole new one.

So remember kids (well ok im probably the youngest one here, aren't i?) always check the fuse before you go and get a new thing, and not just the one in the plug, either!

Edited by EdwardHimself