Why become a member? ×

NBD...and the last bass i buy on Ebay without trying it first!

fender73

Hi folks,[attachment=98160:DSCF2793.JPG]

Well, my little Hohner is NOW a nice bass, but i fell foul of the previous owners 'excellent condition' and 'ready to gig' etc comments. Bass turned up....what a hound.

Couple of hours of cleaning everything (frets, fretboard, pots, hardware etc), restringing (even after being told there's plenty of life left in the old strings!!!!!! - erm, nah!) and setting up soon made it quite a nice bass, but had to get a luthier pal of mine to sort out the neck as the truss rod felt tight to me (although he says he's had plenty of success with tighter!)

Anyway, it's a great backup/stop gap until i can get some Essex Graphite back in my life (once Xmas is paid for etc)

I'd recommend these basses to anyone wanting some cheap and cheerful headless action. I have some 35 - 95 Trace Elliots waiting to go on the bass after the 40 -100 Elites are worn out as they feel a bit too stiff for my kind of playing.

Happy slappin' all

Graeme

So you paid £250 for a bass unseen, then moan about it? No it wasn't me selling it but I had it watched on the bay.

From the trivial amount of 'work' you describe having to do it, sounds to me like you got let off light! I expect to do at least that to any bass bought secondhand.

Just my opinion.
Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1327580241' post='1513596']
So you paid £250 for a bass unseen, then moan about it? No it wasn't me selling it but I had it watched on the bay.

From the trivial amount of 'work' you describe having to do it, sounds to me like you got let off light! I expect to do at least that to any bass bought secondhand.

Just my opinion.
Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Appreciate your opinion John. I don't share it, but thanks.

I never sell a bass without setting it up with new strings (cheap addario's) and giving it a good clean but i too expect to have this work everytime i buy a used bass. Come to think of it even when i bought new basses i had to set them up and restring them!
It's all part of the way people take care of their material and how they are used to play it, for the guy selling your bass he was happy to gig it in that conditions so he thought it was good and ready for stage!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1327588252' post='1513820']
I never sell a bass without setting it up with new strings (cheap addario's) and giving it a good clean but i too expect to have this work everytime i buy a used bass. Come to think of it even when i bought new basses i had to set them up and restring them!
It's all part of the way people take care of their material and how they are used to play it, for the guy selling your bass he was happy to gig it in that conditions so he thought it was good and ready for stage!
[/quote]

That's very true mate - maybe i just have higher standards than some?

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1327580241' post='1513596']
[/quote]

Same here. First thing I usually do with any purchase is strip it down, clean, rebuild and setup the way I like it. I find quite a lot of instruments are set up shockingly poorly and what one guy thinks is great is unplayable to others.

I just got a Warwick Corvette off ebay for £320, 2004 German made,supposedly great condition,had a neck like Robin Hoods bow, but a week and many tweeks of the truss rod later,along with new strings and a proper clean,it`s absolutely lovely!!!!!!!!! And for that money,I can`t grumble about the snapped off side things on the just a nut,it still works and I`ll get a replacement eventually. I`m happy as long as the body and neck are in the condition I want, I`m o.k to spend a little bit extra to make a used instrument up to my standards.
[attachment=98284:Warwick bass 001.JPG]