Why become a member? ×

Going active

fatboyslimfast

Mornin'.

I've been wanting to "go active" for a little while, to see what the fuss is about and whether I prefer the active sound over a passive. The most cost effective way seems to be something like an Artec SE2 or similar - I'm quite handy with a soldering iron and am pretty well versed with audio circuitry.

But my dilemma is... which bass to activate?

I have a choice of four - as in my sig. I don't really want to muck around with the Jazz, as it's still in original condition (and was my first ever bass), so that narrows it down to three.

Any views on which bass is likely to benefit from the conversion the most?

For reference, the SB301 has a P/J config with balance/tone/tone/volume pots (would prob suit the SE2 best), and the Aria has a MM pickup with a volume/tone/split switch (so would probably need the SE2-A, as would the P-bass).

Also, what's the deal with power (i.e. on/off) - will I need a special jack socket?

Or should I hang the idea, sell one of them and buy an active bass instead?

I have used SE2, SE2A and SE3 preamps. The SE2 worked well, the SE3 is doing fine but I had 2 SE2As with dodgy concentric pots and gave up on it in the end.

Given the choice you outline, I would put an SE2 in the SB301.

Regarding power switching, you will need a stereo jack if the bass does not already have one. The ring and sleeve terminals break the -ve connection to the battery and are connected when a mono jack plug is inserted.

Remember you'll have to find some place to stuff a battery.

Ah, I see. So as the standard mono plug only has the tip live, both the sleeve and gnd connectors on the stereo socket bridge using the gnd of the mono plug. Got it. Very elegant solution!

Just have to see if I can get a stereo jack socket that will fit into the body of the SB301, as it's a side- rather than front-mount jack. No worries re the 9V battery though - there's plenty of space inside the back panel for one (I think it's the same routed shape for the SB310 which was active anyway).

Edit - I wonder if it already has a stereo socket, given the SB310's similarity. Time to get the screwdrivers out when I get home...

Edited by fatboyslimfast

I think you will find the SB301 already has a stereo jack as I don't think they make Mono Barrel Jacks.
I would echo Matt's comments about the pots on Artec pre-amps. I have an SE-3 in my SB 425 and the concentric pots occasionaly need a bit of "movement" in them to get rid of crackles. I am just about to remove it and put a spare Bart pre-amp in.
You may even find a battery area routed out already with the Bass Collection.

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' timestamp='1327480721' post='1511812'] should I hang the idea, sell one of them and buy an active bass instead?
[/quote]

I'd sell one of them and get a G&L L2000 Tribute. Great basses, and you have the best of both worlds, as you can go from active to passive at the flick of a switch.

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/L-2000/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/L-2000/index.asp[/url]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1327612430' post='1514319']
I'd sell one of them and get a G&L L2000 Tribute. Great basses, and you have the best of both worlds, as you can go from active to passive at the flick of a switch.

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/L-2000/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars...-2000/index.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, but the active mode on an L-2000 is just a line boost, the tone controls are still cut only, just like a passive bass (they operate on the output from the pickups before it hits the preamp) and the treble boost setting sounds horrible to me. Don't get me wrong, I really like mine (I have mine in passive mode all the time, the MFD pickups are plenty hot without the help) but it's not the same as having an active EQ which can cut and boost frequencies.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1327615768' post='1514415']
Yes, but the active mode on an L-2000 is just a line boost, the tone controls are still cut only, just like a passive bass (they operate on the output from the pickups before it hits the preamp) and the treble boost setting sounds horrible to me. Don't get me wrong, I really like mine (I have mine in passive mode all the time, the MFD pickups are plenty hot without the help) but it's not the same as having an active EQ which can cut and boost frequencies.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I stand corrected on that. :)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1327527711' post='1513040']
Stick it into a Pedal enclosure with a true by pass switch and trial it with each bass without having to mod any of them ;)
[/quote]

I was going to suggest wiring a lead and plug to the input of the preamp, and a socket to the output and try each bass and see what you like best before fitting to a bass.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1327612430' post='1514319']

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/L-2000/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars...-2000/index.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Hmmm, nice idea - but I doubt that even selling all four of my basses and all my amps would get me near the price required for a G&L...!