Why become a member? ×

SOLD , please remove

Chris Horton

I recently sold my Yamaha TRB 5P II (with a Bubinga top) to Chris and I found him to be an absolute gent. Looking at the photos of this one he has for sale, it looks to be in absolutely mint condition. Chris certainly likes his TRB's and knows how to look after them.

During the time I had my TRB, I found it to be an amazing bass that will do anything. The build quality is right up there with the best of them (as it should be for a bass with a list price in excess of £2800). The guys over the pond on Talkbass can't rate them highly enough.

Best of luck with the sale Chris and have a bump on me.

[quote name='plumbob' timestamp='1327832200' post='1517241']
I wondered why he was selling , as I bought my Trb5Pii after speaking to Chris , and I don't think I would ever part with it as it does so much so well !

Why did you want the Bubinga?
[/quote]

Hi,
long before i even got my Maple TRB 5PII , I alway's loved the "look" and colour of the Babinga wood. I watched a video of Abraham Laboriel (my faviorate bass player) and i was hooked :)
[attachment=98482:6B9F21F5-Abraham-Laboriel-Sr.jpg]

TRB 5 PII's of any kind don't come up for sale very often so when i saw the maple up for sale i went for it :)

Recently ,Mr Z , sent me a PM offering me his Babinga version , i was in the fortunate position where i could buy his bass and then try the Maple & Bubinga bass guitars side by side :)

I can't justify keeping 2 TRB 5 PII's as much as i love them both.
Personally i prefer the colour of the Babinga top TRB.

I can feel a comparison review coming on :)

ok, with all the tone controlls set in the middle position on both bass guitars and my Epifani UL 502 amp I think that the -

- Maple TRB is a lighter bass guitar
- Maple TRB has a slightly more zingy / brightness at the top end.
- Bubinga TRB is heavier.
- Bubinga TRB has a very slightly fuller sounding notes right across the range. (slightly more creamy sounding) with very slightly less Top/zingy end.

I found that with a small (and i do mean small) amount of adjusting from the bass guitars & amp controlls , i could get both bass guitars to almost sound identical.

I find it quite hard to put down in writing the differences between these two fantastic bass guitars.
After playing both Maple & Bubinga TRB's side by side at home in a quitet room, you can hear these subtle differences. They really are subtle.
I think that in a normal "live gigging" situation with lots of noise etc,i dont think that you could really tell the difference between the two.

It was a real privalidge to try these two basses side by side to satisfy my curiosity but it was allway's going to be a short term experiment thing.
I have a very understanding wife :)

They always say that if you are going to test and play a bass guitar , you should do it with your eyes shut and your ears open.

For me , this time ,even though the Babinga TRB is the heavier bass guitar, the lure of the Bubinga wood grain and colour won.

I hope that is helpful
Best Regards
Chris

Edited by Chris Horton

Oh Bless ! Perhaps it matches the colour of your eyes better !!! :lol:

Anyway glad your keeping at least one!

So people , Chris is a great bloke to deal with , and I can confer that this maple Trb like mine will be a great bass , everyone should have one !!!

Good luck with the sale

You sure you can't talk the wife into letting you keep both ! ;)

• 3 weeks later...