Why become a member? ×

DHA VT-1 pedal, running at 9V instead of 12V?

mcnach

I'm linking what I hear from the DHA VT-1 bass overdrive.
But the 12V supply seems a bit of a pain, as I will have to add one power supply on my board *just* for that effect.

Has anybody tried it with 9V? How does it sound?
If 9V is ok, that would make it very attractive for me (reversing polarity is not a big deal)

I used to run a DHA EQ Drive something or other at 9V off a Johnny Shredfreak power supply. No problems at all. Didn't notice much difference in tone, I seem to recall I needed to add a little more volume at 9v, but there was always plenty on tap. Can't see it being a problem. Dave's pedals sound great imo.

Thank you!

That sounds promising!
So all I'd need is a cable with a small plug (I read on the website it uses a 2.1mm plug, pity is not the standard size) and inverted polarity... the DHA VT-1 is a contender then :)
I can't believe I just missed a couple on the FS forum :(

I'm also considering a Xotic Bass BB. It seems to do a very good job at low gain overdrive. Fat and smooth. And it's quite small and has standard power supply requirements... But the DHA VT-1 is substantially cheaper... hmmm.

Thought I'd already replied to this :S

Maybe not the advice you wanted now but my VT-1 wouldn't show any signs of life whatsoever if ran from my 9V johnnyshredfreak supply, worked perfectly off the 12V though.

Also unless isolated I've always seen it stated that you shouldn't mix polarities on one power supply.

Edited by simwells

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1327069283' post='1506010']
Thought I'd already replied to this :S

Maybe not the advice you wanted now but my VT-1 wouldn't show any signs of life whatsoever if ran from my 9V johnnyshredfreak supply, worked perfectly off the 12V though.

Also unless isolated I've always seen it stated that you shouldn't mix polarities on one power supply.
[/quote]

I use two T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior units with multiple isolated 9V outs, so I would use one for the DHA alone.

No live at all? Hmmm. That's worrying despite previous comments.
I assume you remembered to reverse the polarity? The DHA will not do anything at all if the polarity is wrong.

That would be fine then, thinking about the polarity comment does make me question it if I'm honest! Definitely did try it off a psu that was set up correctly and it wouldn't power but I'm pretty sure that was a very cheap one that was unpredictable at the best of times and hummed a lot so it could have been that it was badly regulated as well as underpowered for the quoted voltage. So I would take what I said with more than a pinch of salt!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1327070919' post='1506041']
I use two T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior units with multiple isolated 9V outs, so I would use one for the DHA alone.

No live at all? Hmmm. That's worrying despite previous comments.
I assume you remembered to reverse the polarity? The DHA will not do anything at all if the polarity is wrong.
[/quote]

I am happy to fit a different 2.1mm connector with neg center if you want at same price? The thing to note is that it is a valve pedal and hence requires higher current than a lot of small 9V power supplies will provide. Poor regulation will result in hum so a good 9V of at least 150mA plus what your other pedals need will be required. There is a drop in output level at 9v, but its not that much.

Dave

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1327151151' post='1507018']
Anyone know if a Jonnyshredfreak supply will cope with the following pedals:-

Boss TU2 > BYOC optical compressor > DHA VT1 > DHA DI/EQ

The last 2 with the reverse polarity adaptors? Or is mixing 2 different polarity pedals a bad idea?
[/quote]

They are not different polarity as they are both negative ground like most pedals but the connector on the VT1 is center positive unlike boss type pedals.

you can't run different polarity pedals on the same supply as it will short out when you plug in, this is not the case with my two pedals you speak of above. My Fuzzy Feeling is a different matter as it positive ground due to the PNP transistors.

[quote name='DHA' timestamp='1327085920' post='1506344']
I am happy to fit a different 2.1mm connector with neg center if you want at same price? The thing to note is that it is a valve pedal and hence requires higher current than a lot of small 9V power supplies will provide. Poor regulation will result in hum so a good 9V of at least 150mA plus what your other pedals need will be required. There is a drop in output level at 9v, but its not that much.

Dave
[/quote]

Wow, nice to hear from the very manufacturer! Thank you for the offer!
Listening again to more clips, and reading a bit more... the VT1 was getting ahead of the race, and you just made it getting a little bit farther ;)

I use the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr unit (two of them), each with 5 individual isolated 9V outs. I just checked the specs, and each one is rated up to 120mA, lower than the 150mA you quoted. So this does not look promising.

Hmmm, it seems to me that if I want to use this pedal, I should buy it as it is (without changing the polarity of the connector) and use the power supply provided. And if I buy it with the polarity reversed, and my T-Rex is not a suitable power supply, then I cannot use the provided power supply unless I re-reverse the polarity... It seems like a lot of uncertainties, and best to stick to the pedal as it is with its own power supply.

I'll order one already. My band (Sea Bass Kid) is going to start recording next weekend and I'd love to be able to use the VT-1 then.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1327234280' post='1508022']
Wow, nice to hear from the very manufacturer! Thank you for the offer!
Listening again to more clips, and reading a bit more... the VT1 was getting ahead of the race, and you just made it getting a little bit farther ;)

I use the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr unit (two of them), each with 5 individual isolated 9V outs. I just checked the specs, and each one is rated up to 120mA, lower than the 150mA you quoted. So this does not look promising.

Hmmm, it seems to me that if I want to use this pedal, I should buy it as it is (without changing the polarity of the connector) and use the power supply provided. And if I buy it with the polarity reversed, and my T-Rex is not a suitable power supply, then I cannot use the provided power supply unless I re-reverse the polarity... It seems like a lot of uncertainties, and best to stick to the pedal as it is with its own power supply.

I'll order one already. My band (Sea Bass Kid) is going to start recording next weekend and I'd love to be able to use the VT-1 then.
[/quote]

thanks for the order, but I only build to order so it will not be ready by next weekend, sorry.

Dave

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1327274561' post='1508837']
You'll enjoy the VT1, Dave's stuff is the BALLS! Super clean signals and really "musical" sounding pedals (if that makes any sense).
[/quote]

where is the icon for "impatiently waiting" :)

Just thought I'd chime in. I run a DHA Bob the Blender along with a few different preamp pedals. I bought a OneSpot to power all of them, they sell a reverse polarity adapter. There is a little difference in sound between 9 and 12v but nothing major, maybe not as much grunt when running at 9v. The OneSpot seems like a good quality, affordable and flexible power supply.