Why become a member? ×

Probably silly question from fretless newbie

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1326550859' post='1498727']
Play the harmonic on the 12th fret and then play the note on the fingerboard [b]in the place you'd expect to find it[/b],
[/quote]
That's the trick! I've just been playing with mine tonight (ooerr) and found myself unduly worrying about where the "correct" spot was.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1326583877' post='1499284']
The one I have appears to need a bit of adjusting at the bridge saddles too, but I'll wait a while.

I also like to lower the G string so that it's closer - within limits, of course - to the fingerboard than the other strings, as I find it easier to play like that. That's something I'll do in a few weeks' time as well.
[/quote]

Why wait? I mean, it's up to you, but changing bridge height and position on an electric guitar is a simple operation that takes seconds... just make sure you've got the correct tool, and do like 1/4 turn at a time, so you can go back any moment. I would think its's better to just correct that imperfect setup rather than getting used to a wrongly tuned instrument. I find it astonishing how many people are spooked by bridge adjustment - anyone with a tuner and a good ear can do that, it's not harder than tuning the strings from the other end, in my finding.

I know the question has already been answered, numerous times, but I thought I would chip in with my first post after lurking for some time...

...I started off playing with a lined fretless and found myself concentrating on positioning my fingers be line of sight, but since moving to a non-lined ebony fretless playing be ear and moving by muscle-memory and ear is definitely the way to go - and practising pieces to get the right sound. Of course the set up and intonation is much more important on a fretless so it is worth checking it out.

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1326788652' post='1501818']
Why wait? I mean, it's up to you, but changing bridge height and position on an electric guitar is a simple operation that takes seconds... just make sure you've got the correct tool, and do like 1/4 turn at a time, so you can go back any moment. I would think its's better to just correct that imperfect setup rather than getting used to a wrongly tuned instrument. I find it astonishing how many people are spooked by bridge adjustment - anyone with a tuner and a good ear can do that, it's not harder than tuning the strings from the other end, in my finding.
[/quote]

Two reasons for waiting - 1. the need for acclimatisation, as it's brand new, and 2. the possibility that Thomann will ask me to exchange the bass as opposed to offer a part refund for a scratch (see this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164869-scratch-in-brand-new-warwick-rockbass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164869-scratch-in-brand-new-warwick-rockbass/[/url]).

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1326794785' post='1501927']
I know the question has already been answered, numerous times, but I thought I would chip in with my first post after lurking for some time...

...I started off playing with a lined fretless and found myself concentrating on positioning my fingers be line of sight, but since moving to a non-lined ebony fretless playing be ear and moving by muscle-memory and ear is definitely the way to go - and practising pieces to get the right sound. Of course the set up and intonation is much more important on a fretless so it is worth checking it out.
[/quote]

I totally agree - I wouldn't have wanted a lined fretless, and I've been using the ear+muscle memory on the upright since I took it up. On the upright I had to create an appropriate muscle memory from scratch, while the fretless is (predictably) proving easier to tackle.

Thank you all again - you've been fantastic with your help and advice.

Edited by bluejay