Why become a member? ×

Scratch in brand new Warwick Rockbass

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1326462410' post='1497527']
Ou7shined, yes, correct, it's rosewood.
[/quote]

No he is not, despite Thomann and several other online retailers calling the fingerboards Rosewood ALL Fretless Warwicks be they German made, Korean or Chinese RockBass models have Tigerstripe Ebony Fingerboards.

The reason for its lighter colouring is the fact Warwick to save money and be more enviromentally concious do not use only to core wood of ebony (the only bit that is jet black) they use far more or it, tonally and in terms of feel it is identical to the core wood. This leads to the brown 'tigerstriping' seen on the boards which I actually think is far more atractive than black ebony!

The cheaper price allows them to put it on the Rockbasses.

Edited by throwoff

Well, I guess you're right then, as the fingerboard is different from that of my fretted 5-stringer. It's darker and smoother, but I thought that might simply be due to a different piece of (the same type of) wood and different machinery being used. Looks cool, definitely :)

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1326465813' post='1497596']
No he is not, despite Thomann and several other online retailers calling the fingerboards Rosewood ALL Fretless Warwicks be they German made, Korean or Chinese RockBass models have Tigerstripe Ebony Fingerboards.
[/quote]
+1. The board is ebony, and Throwoff is, of course, right.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1326465813' post='1497596']
...[/quote]

My bad.
You can't really blame me for thinking that though. I mean it looks like rosewood in that pic.

LOL I promise I'll take some close-ups as soon as I manage to persuade the camera out of its sulk, so that we can all enjoy the sight of my new baby's fingerboard :D

H, no worries, it's still a bargain, and I love it - although I'm still seemingly unable to play it (it's my first non-upright fretless and my intonation is all over the place!) :rolleyes: . I'm pursuing the issue out of principle, mostly.

Thomann haven't replied to my email with the photo attachment. That probably means I won't hear from them until Monday.

Got yet another email from Thomann's Customer Care, requesting more photos, this afternoon. Impressed as it's Saturday. I've now sent them more shots of the bass with the scratch, plus pics of the boxes, which are in tip top condition as I opened them with much care, in case the bass had to be returned in them (sigh).

Anyway, I'm working on the photos I took this morning - not just of the scratch, but of my beautiful baby in general! - and will post some of them here as soon as I have selected the best ones.

OK so if it works (I HATE Flickr from the bottom of my heart), here is the link to the whole set of 10 pics of the new baby, scratch and all :)

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluejay_my_photos/sets/72157628882162125/[/media]

Edit: I confirm that I detest Flickr.

Edited by bluejay

Yum! Thanks :D

It's satin black, which means very dark brown in fact, and the grain of the wood underneath the finish is still visible. I chose it in preference to the normal jet black - which was available too - like that of my upright and my Crafter (my very first never-touched-a-bass-before student instrument).

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1326679100' post='1500482']
Yum! Thanks :D

It's satin black, which means very dark brown in fact, and the grain of the wood underneath the finish is still visible. I chose it in preference to the normal jet black - which was available too - like that of my upright and my Crafter (my very first never-touched-a-bass-before student instrument).
[/quote]
I thought I was the only one who was a post-gig insomniac! Let us know how it sounds too?