Why become a member? ×

New Jens Ritter Singlecut design

molan

So the, rather wonderful, Jens Ritter has released early pictures of his new singlecut, the R8, that he's going to be showing at NAMM next week.

Looks pretty cool to me:

I hear Jens is coming over for the London Bass Show and will be on the Bassgear stand at some point - maybe he'll bring one of these along :)

I'm absolutely loving my new Ritter Cora and the R8 has the same, slightly shorter, scale length in a 4 string of 33.3" :)

I don't usually like the shape of Ritters and I hate the shape of most singlecuts (except Telecasters and Les Paul types) but those look alright. I think it's because I really hate the scroll type thing on the standard Ritter.

Be interesting to try one at the Bass show and see (or rather hear) what all the fuss is about.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1326530675' post='1498387']
Why not?

Some people lack imagination...
[/quote]

Plus your average non musician punter isn't going to know the difference between a £6500 Ritter and a £65 Stagg beginner instrument.

Even some proper musicians will probably ask why you can't afford a proper instrument like a Squier or a Fender :D

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1326531077' post='1498391']

Even some proper musicians will probably ask why you can't afford a proper instrument like a Squier or a Fender :D
[/quote]

Exactly this happened to me once - I was playing a posh wedding using my new, and pretty expensive, MTD535.

In the interval a bass player in the audience (who'd been watching me intently in the first half) told he'd just bought a new fender USA and that it was great. He then said that if I couldn't afford one that the Mexican or Japanese Fenders were pretty good as well.

I sai thanks for his advice and said he should try an MTD some day but they were sometimes quite expensive. I pointed out that a new one was probably £3K but if he kept his eyes open he might find a used one for around the £2K mark.

His jaw promptly hit the floor and he wandered off - I didn't see him again for the rest of the gig :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1326530675' post='1498387'] Why not? Some people lack imagination... [/quote]

I wouldn't say lack of imagination personally. :P

I was pertaining to using a one off £6k bass in a local boozer. In my experience these gigs can sometimes end in some kind of beer fuelled mess. I would feel more comfortable with a mass produced instrument that can be repaired or replaced reasonably easily than a magnificent piece of furniture that I would be afraid of being damaged.

Maybe I should try to get a better quality gig?? :D

Edit: or should ritter offer a relic-ing service. ;)

Edited by deanovw

For the last 10 years I have been using my Gus basses (not quite at Ritter prices but getting close) in all the bands for which they are visually and sonically suitable - irrespective of the venue. The bass remains in its case either in a secure room or by my side from load-in until we play at which point it is strapped around my neck. After the gig is over it goes back in its case again.

Any venue that caused me to worry about the physical safety of the gear I would probably be more worried about my own physical safety. Musical equipment can be repaired or replaced. Human beings not always so easily.

• 2 weeks later...