Why become a member? ×

Relocating to Aylesbury

tallmanmax

Hi, as the title says, I'm relocating to Aylesbury, and was hoping some of my fellow 'plankspankers' could give me a bit of a heads up on the local music scene. I'm currently in a rock covers band and I'm honoring gig commitments until March/April when I'll be moving to HP19. So, if I can get to know where and when buskers 'open mike' nights are, decent rehearsal rooms, best place to advertise my bass playing services etc, I can get settled quickly and get on with what I enjoy the most.................playing bass LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers

There`s a really great pub in Aylesbury, right near the town centre/cinema, called The White Swan that has a rock crowd, and puts bands on. Would be an ideal place to spread the word about New-Low-End-In-Town, you should be able to make some good contacts there.

there is a Place in the Centre of Aylesbury (down the alley to the Side of the HSBC Bank) Called 'Shoot Pool' and they put live music on most weeks.

I can't remember if it is fortnightly or monthly but the Rockwood also has an acoustic night on Sundays. The chaps that organise this occasionally put on a weekend festival or two over the summer, but that can be dependant of getting the backing to put them on.

as Lozz mentioned there is the White Swan, and I believe I've seen bands in 'the Kingsbury' recently but never on a Saturday night.

about twenty minute drive from Aylesbury you have Leighton Buzzard which has a venue called 'the Wheatsheaf'

and there are a few places in High Wycombe, but I need to have a proper look at those again before I tell you about them ;)

Hope that helps

Hello mate,

As already said the Swan is probably best for the rock scene and shoot pool is pretty good although Ska goes down well the best according to the owners.

In terms of rehearsal spaces check out West Star Studios in High Wycombe, really nice people and have a decent amount of rooms with amps/cabs in each room - they also serve food/drinks!

[quote name='TraceElliotBass' timestamp='1326730912' post='1501165']
In terms of rehearsal spaces check out West Star Studios in High Wycombe, really nice people and have a decent amount of rooms with amps/cabs in each room - they also serve food/drinks!
[/quote]

And they have a pole-dance rehearsal room there. Makes for an interesting break time half way through the evening... :D

[quote name='TraceElliotBass' timestamp='1326730912' post='1501165']
[/quote]

West Star Studios are THE place to go for rehearsal round here, not too expensive, really nice people, real relaxed atmosphere and the rooms generally have ok kit.

With this many of us, maybe we should be organising a Bucks Bass Bash :)

Although a Herts Basschatter, sounds good to me.

Also, re West Star - the food/drinks they serve is very reasonable, for 4 or 5 drinks (some alcoholic ones included) change from a fiver, none of this £2 a can business that some places charge. Great studios.

Welcome to Bucks.

Bit further north of Aylesbury, you'll find Buckingham.

The Kings Head have live bands most Fridays and Saturdays (shameless plug - my band is playing there this Friday!)

There is also a "jam night" at the Blackbird pub in Padbury (just before Buckingham) on a Monday.

"Band jam" is also now back on at the White Hart in Buckingham, I believe it's every Thursday but best to check beforehand.

Alan.

• 4 weeks later...

For Milton Keynes, there`s The Crauford Arms, in the Wolverton area. Great venue, they have 2 seperate music areas, a hall out the back for "the young" who pay to see some fairly decent up & coming bands, and then the area in the pub itself, for covers bands.

• 1 month later...