Why become a member? ×

Interesting Modified 1970's P bass

kyle3mh

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1325979797' post='1490771']
And why does it have [i]two [/i]string trees? :D
[/quote]

Often when I've seen an extra one added, it was an ill-advised fix for a problem caused by the owner not knowing how to put strings on properly where the string exits nearer the top of post rather than the bottom, the angle over the nut is to shallow & the string doesn't sit so tight over it.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1326067136' post='1491986']
Often when I've seen an extra one added, it was an ill-advised fix for a problem caused by the owner not knowing how to put strings on properly where the string exits nearer the top of post rather than the bottom, the angle over the nut is to shallow & the string doesn't sit so tight over it.
[/quote]

Knowing how to string a bass properly doesn't always alleviated the problem.

Besides, why exactly is it ill an advised fix? If it gets rid of inherent problem with the design, it's a fix. Most fender a-like makers Sandberg, Lakland etc add long string-trees in order to combat the break angle issue on the A and many other exotic makers follow suit with their designs too.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1325978393' post='1490748']
A genuine 1978 - 81 would have a 'big F' Neckplate & black plastic neckplate cushion thingy. The body would have holes for a chrome bridge cover. The pickguard would not have the truss rod cutaway - just a small crescent & it would have pickup cover & finger rest screwholes. That is a colour I've never seen on a Precison of that period. Decal looks similar to my '81. If the neck is genuine I suspect that it may be the only bit that is.
[/quote]
Now that is impressive expertise right there!

thanks all for the info! much appreciated, youl be glad to hear im not going to take it. But still on the look out for a similar priced P bass or Jazz bass but must have maple neck! Or also interested in a Jaguar or mustang bass. Let me know if you know of anything suitable!