Why become a member? ×

Ou7shined does it again! Diary of a respray job on a completely sodded Fender Jazz 5

Truckstop

Hello all,

So, a while ago I went through a 'relic' phase and after spending nearly all of 20 minutes reading about other BCers efforts and Youtube videos, I decided to give my beautiful Jazz 5 (it was Olympic white at the time) a relic job. I had rather hoped that I'd end up with a sort of 'Herbie Flowers' look bass. Unfortunately, as you've probably guessed by now, what happened next was many different types of wrong.

So, armed with some sandpaper and a hammer, I relic'd it. Doubtless to say, it looked dreadful. So I did what somewhat with absolutely no refinishing experience (or patience) would do, and decided to refinish it to its former glory. I bought some Olympic White paint and some lacquer and set to work. Many headaches later (for gods sake, work in a well ventilated area!) and lots of carpet ruined, I had finished!

It was at this point I decided to just send it to someone who knows what he's doing. I got in contact with Ou7shined of Osprey Guitars after having seen some of his previous work on his homebuild threads and restoration jobs and we sorted out a price and then he set to work!

The photos can be seen through the link below:

[url="http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/Osprey%20Guitars/Truckstop%20-%20J5/"]http://s33.photobuck...kstop%20-%20J5/[/url]

Unfortunately, the first few photos really dont show the level of my ineptness in their full glory. My efforts really did amount to nothing more than a complete disaster. Orange peel effect all over the place, I hadnt filled in any of the chunks I'd sanded or knocked out and I hadnt bought enough paint to finish the bloody job anyway!

I initially wanted Olympic White, but Rich convinced me that Vintage White would look a lot more sophisticated and I'm very glad to say he was right! However, before he could start applying paint, he had to do loads of prep work on the body. He filled in all of the dents I'd put in and also filled a couple of leaky knots he'd found under the old paint with some veneers (something I hadnt actually asked him to do and wasnt included in the cost!). After much sanding, the primer was put on and then many layers of Vintage White was applied in order to get that lovely rich creamy colour we've ended up with.

Rich then lined all the cavities with copper (this is something that Rich includes with ALL of his respray jobs; the benefits of this are espsoused in many threads here on Basschat) and fitted the bridge, control plate and pickguard for me.

So, please enjoy looking at the photos and hopefully if you need something refinishing you'll look no further than Basschats very own Rich Lewis of Osprey Guitars!

Cheers everyone!

x

Edited by Truckstop

Yeah, classy's a good word for it!
Its a mexican so came with a rosewood board which I've decided to keep. I prefer the feel, the sound and I always find rosewood boards to look a little more subtle than maple which can look a little too clinical for me, especially if you cant get ahold of an old/aged one. However, if I ever see a Fender-style Ebony board... it's mine!!

I'll take a few pics and put them up soon!

Cheers

Alex

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1325585718' post='1484593']
Yeah, classy's a good word for it!
Its a mexican so came with a rosewood board which I've decided to keep. I prefer the feel, the sound and I always find rosewood boards to look a little more subtle than maple which can look a little too clinical for me, especially if you cant get ahold of an old/aged one. However, if I ever see a Fender-style Ebony board... it's mine!!

I'll take a few pics and put them up soon!

Cheers

Alex
[/quote]

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/Musical-Instrument-Making/Electric/Maple-Bass-Neck-Ebony-Fboard_WMS675-3.htm
i found this the other day, wonder if any good