Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Alembic Stanley Clarke Deluxe - cocobolo, anniversary electronics, blue LEDs - £3450

lozbass

Thanks again guys for all the very postive comments and PMs - I'm not really looking for trades just now thanks (I really need to make some space!) I have some new images of the bass and associated bits and pieces (case, paperwork, lights, back of headstock etc.) but I'm struggling to upload from home - I'll add them to the original post tomorrow. Cheers, Loz

Its exceptionally beautiful loz. Unfortunately I don't think I could cope with the 30.75 scale (I once owned a Gibson SG bass, which is agricultural by comparison, and found the scale didn' work for me). Nevertheless have a bump on me for a lovely bass and a super BC'er

[size=6][sub]Clarky, you are a gentleman! I'm finding I can't cope with much other than short-scales these days (a combination of laziness and absence of talent) Should be down in London a lot soon and will give you a shout. [/sub][/size]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1325281543' post='1481831']
Superb cocobolo top and Loz really looks after his gear. For an Alembic fan it really doesn't get much better than this.

PS, Loz, it might be worth alerting jazzyvee via PM as I recall he was very impressed by this bass
[/quote]

You know my taste well clarky. However I'm a master volume kind of guy and have reesisted this one and many others for that reason. I know there are tonal benefits of having separate pickup volumes but I personally find them difficult to use when I want to reduce volume and keep the same tone.

I hope you find a buyer Loz as it certainly is a beautiful bass.

Again, gentlemen, thanks for the very kind words - Snazz, you wouldn't believe how many times I've been daft enough (though you're right, there aren't many basses like this hanging on shop walls). Rick - thanks, and this from a man with some of the world's most desirable basses - wow, I'd love to see your collection up close! Jazzyvee, from what I see on a US site, you'll be enjoying the benefits of a master volume soon (and two individual volumes).

I've responded to some PMs and should say here that I can include a stereo to double mono cable with the bass.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1326291087' post='1494978']
:o

Seriously though, if you're ever in the area, let me know, I'll dust off the 50's tweed!! :)
[/quote]
Cheers and will do - I'm not a regular visitor but your basses are well-worth the effor (a bit of a fan of tweed too)

[quote name='30507090' timestamp='1326403738' post='1496904']
How do anniversary electronics differ to standard electronics? And how do they compare with a Series 1?
[/quote]
Hi and thanks for this - anniversary electronics sit somewhere between Signature and Series 1 in the Alembic spectrum and have similarities with both. Ann electronics offer stereo or mono capability and individual volume controls (sig are mono with master volume and pan). There's also a pickup selector with ann electonics. Both sig and ann will deliver a classic Alembic tone - I prefer the flexibility of ann but its marginal and both configurations sound very similar and staggering (if you like alembic tone). Its slso possible to get a range of more traditional tones with minimum fuss (though personally, I don't think you can get a perfect facsimile of J or P sounds - close but Alembics retain a bit of their own voice). On differences between SI and Ann electronics - I've had both and would say they're very close (they're often marketed as such). For me, SI can get a bit more extreme - whether that is useful is down to peronal preference. I'll post an official description of/guide to Ann electronics from the Alembic Club site later. I hope this helps, Cheers, L

Note on Anniversary electronics from the Alembic Club:

'The switch nearest the bridge is the pickup selector switch. The four positions are standby, neck pickup, both pickups, bridge pickup.

The first knob nearest the pickups is the neck pickup volume. The knob below that is the neck pickup low pass filter control. The switch to the right (facing) is the neck pickup Q switch.

The next three controls are the same thing except they are for the bridge pickup.

The switch near the jack is a stereo/mono switch for the stereo 1/4" jack.

Basically, the filter control is a low pass filter; as you roll it back it lowers the point at which it passes low frequency signals and blocks high frequency signals. The range is from 350Hz-6KHz. Wherever you set the filter, only frequencies below that cutoff point are passed. The Q switch works in concert with the filter and provides an 8db boost at the cut off frequency you've set with the filter. When the switch is off you get a flat response up to the filter setting. The Q affects mainly the attack portion of the note.'

Original text at:

[url="http://alembic.com/club/messages/16271/27398.html?1145728615"]http://alembic.com/club/messages/16271/27398.html?1145728615[/url]

Thanks for Ann & standard & series feedback. I guess I was being lazy to not search on the Alembic club! I have standard small body & series 1 small body Alembic basses already and a superfilter. Perhaps the series 2 is a step too far, though not as complex as some custom Alembic examples!! Useful and interesting to read. Thanks

[quote name='30507090' timestamp='1326498600' post='1498242']
Thanks for Ann & standard & series feedback. I guess I was being lazy to not search on the Alembic club! I have standard small body & series 1 small body Alembic basses already and a superfilter. Perhaps the series 2 is a step too far, though not as complex as some custom Alembic examples!! Useful and interesting to read. Thanks
[/quote]
Thanks and no problem at all - I should have included this information earlier. Series II electronics (the most powerful and versatile in the Alembic range and included in a lot of the more exotic customs) take a bit of getting used to, though the effort is repaid. Your SF2 paired with the pickups in your S1 will give you all the SII capability and more - the SF2 is my favourite tone shaper - from the mad to the terrifying!

Hi Loz, am I right in assuming you have experience with Series II bases as well as signature/anniversary basses.
Series basses do have single coil pickups and others use the hum cancelling type so there will be an inherent difference in tone there also between the Anniversary and series models.

That said, do you think there is a significant difference in the tone between both types of bass?

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1326543212' post='1498572']
Hi Loz, am I right in assuming you have experience with Series II bases as well as signature/anniversary basses.
Series basses do have single coil pickups and others use the hum cancelling type so there will be an inherent difference in tone there also between the Anniversary and series models.

That said, do you think there is a significant difference in the tone between both types of bass?

Jazzyvee
[/quote]
Hi Jazzyvee - thanks for this. I do have experience with SII and sigs/ann (and SI) - oh dear...

You're absolutely right about the difference in pickups (as far as I know) - in my response to 30507090, I was referring to use of the SF2 with his SI bass - that should afford all the versatility of an SII and more. Some people talk about the SF2 as Series II electronics in a box. Well (I think) that's part way there. However, without pairing with Alembic Series pickups, it's not the whole story. Further, without pairing with Alembic Series pickups in an Alembic bass, you're even further away. There's a lot in the detail of an Alembic bass that makes it sound like an Alembic.

On differences between the Sig (and Ann) and Series basses, I think that they're actually quite minor/subtle. For me, the core tone and 95% of the variability and flexibility is there in the Sigs and Ann. The SI can get a bit more extreme, and the SII even more so (and more subtle in terms of tonal control). To me, in all practical and real-world circumstances, its almost impossible to tell the difference between a sig and a series (taking into account the issue that no two basses sound perfectly alike anyway). I hope this helps, cheers, Loz

To clarify, this bass was not supplied with an Alembic G&G case - it came from American Guitar Centre with a Hiscox case. I kept the bass in a Mono case for a while and the original Hiscox went elsewhere. I've now purchased a brand new Hiscox to house the bass for the sale. Cheers, L

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='2004gdavi' timestamp='1326878504' post='1503008']
Hi

This is a great bass and I'm interested in buying.
How do i take my interest further?

Cheers

Dave
[/quote]
Hi Dave, thanks for this - I'll send you a PM with further details. Cheers, Loz