Why become a member? ×

Digitech Bass Synth Wah or Boss SYB for Deeper Underground kind of tone?

1976fenderhead

I'm looking for a pedal that does that kind of sound: electronic sounding buzzy synth with barely any envelope filter going on (or none at all). I have the EHX Bass Micro Synth but I'm not getting this sound from it... It always sounds too analogue and normal fuzz-like... I'd like something sounding more like shittier electronics lol...

Which of these two would better do a digital buzzy synth with no envelope filter, allowing some control over the tone so I can cut the harshness if I have to?

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I have the Syb-5 and have been experimenting with it for a while. It's quite versatile - you can split the signal into "dry" and "wet" and can alter the volume of each. I've been playing about with things like OD'ing the wet and reverbing the dry. Haven't got an octave - yet - but it should do the trick!

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1325208076' post='1481070']
Which of these two would better do a digital buzzy synth with no envelope filter, allowing some control over the tone so I can cut the harshness if I have to?
[/quote]

You will definately want the expression pedal, does a great job with tone control on-the-fly.

Edited by RandomProddy

I prefer the SynthWah for that sound. And it's a LOT of fun on guitar too! (for guitar I prefer the bass synth wah over the guitar synth wah, actually).
I had the SYB5 too -but ended up selling it- and it is an entirely different beast, definitely a lot more "synthy" than the SynthWah, which combines envelope filter with octave effect and synth. I found the SynthWah more musical, and would be my choice for Deeper Underground.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1325301057' post='1481998']
I prefer the SynthWah for that sound. And it's a LOT of fun on guitar too! (for guitar I prefer the bass synth wah over the guitar synth wah, actually).
I had the SYB5 too -but ended up selling it- and it is an entirely different beast, definitely a lot more "synthy" than the SynthWah, which combines envelope filter with octave effect and synth. I found the SynthWah more musical, and would be my choice for Deeper Underground.
[/quote]

What setting did you use, I'm guessing Synth 2? Is there a way to control the speed of the filter sweep?

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1325348770' post='1482395']
What setting did you use, I'm guessing Synth 2? Is there a way to control the speed of the filter sweep?
[/quote]

Yes, Synth2 is the one I used the most.
The controls are limited, but you can control the sweep to some extent with the "control" and "range" knobs. On Synth2, if you turn up "control" almost fully, and use range to find the "sweet spot", you get a pretty good and useable sound that will work for Deeper Underground. In my case Range was set low, between the 2nd and 3rd mark. Sensitivity half way, using a Stingray. It lacks the annoying "star wars synth swell" if you know what I mean and it sounds very "octave+fuzz" but in a more synthy kind of way :)
It's one of the sounds I kept this pedal for.
Try similarly "Filter2". It's in a way similar, with those settings. I like that a lot too.

Edited by mcnach

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO Deeper Underground sounds best when not using a synth pedal (tracking and such). I use an EBS Octaver, MXR Envelope filter + Fuzz and this comes really close. I tried using Markbass Synth pedal before and I just did not quite sound the part.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1326898264' post='1503388']
IMHO Deeper Underground sounds best when not using a synth pedal (tracking and such). I use an EBS Octaver, MXR Envelope filter + Fuzz and this comes really close. I tried using Markbass Synth pedal before and I just did not quite sound the part.
[/quote]

I actually ended up getting quite a decent sound with the EHX BMS... I didn't think the Digitech cut it - I missed the octaves. I doubt the SYB will do it without an expression pedal as you can't set filter sensitivity. So it's between the BMS and the Super Synth, which I still haven't tried... Not too keen on the idea of carrying an extra power supply and having to use software to set more detailed parameters, so not in a hurry...

Edited by 1976fenderhead