Why become a member? ×

Advice on taking up double bass

Lazy James

A DB will go in any hatchback however small. Buy the way, anyone contemplating a double bass should consider Peter Tyler's new book 'About the Double Bass'. It is a must for anyone starting out and will cost £20 incl p&p from www.tylerbasses.co.uk. I've just read it and would recommend it to any bass player. No connection!

My 3/4 upright fits easily into the Impreza. Both seats reclined fully, bass in neck first, diagonally from the front passenger side to the rear windscreen behind the driver's seat. Then slide the neck across so the bass is lying on its side, bridge facing in, along the recllned passenger seat. Put the driver's seat up and there's even room for a passenger on the back seat.

This is the saloon model, I can't speak for the newer hatchback - though you'd think that would be even easier. Happy New Year!

There's an even easier way to get a bass onto the passenger seat. Just fully recline the passenger seat and put the bass in the car spike first. Lay it (flat on its back) on the seat with neck pointing to footwell. It's properly supported (no pressure on neck) and you could even strap it in. Should go in a Clio fine.

Edited by geoffbassist

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I would be very interested in any one who has bought a new double bass on the internet for about £500 - £600. I am currently in the market looking for one and as i new to the db i don't know anything. I appreciate that it would be better to buy a second hand model but these are like hens teeth and as this is going to be my 40th birthday present to myself (getting a bit old to play maiden for much longer) i would like one asap.
Any advice is always greatly appreciated one buying tips .
Many Thanks
Nobby1dog
PS if anyone is selling a db and is in the north west uk please contact me.

[quote name='nobby1dog' timestamp='1326577340' post='1499156']
Hi all

I would be very interested in any one who has bought a new double bass on the internet for about £500 - £600. I am currently in the market looking for one and as i new to the db i don't know anything. I appreciate that it would be better to buy a second hand model but these are like hens teeth and as this is going to be my 40th birthday present to myself (getting a bit old to play maiden for much longer) i would like one asap.
Any advice is always greatly appreciated one buying tips .
Many Thanks
Nobby1dog
PS if anyone is selling a db and is in the north west uk please contact me.
[/quote]
It sucks to be a beginner again, but love to learn

• 1 month later...

Hi again.

Just posting an update, I now have a budget of around £500 to get myself started on double bass. I'd prefer to buy used but pickings are really slim around the North East it seems. I'm currently thinking of getting a thomann 111E BR along with a set of Thomastik Spirocores for general pizz playing and arco at some point.
No bands planned with double bass in the near future, just something I want to learn for now!

Currently wondering whether to buy from Thomann or wait to see if anything comes up used :huh:

[quote name='Lazy James' timestamp='1329658959' post='1545398']

Currently wondering whether to buy from Thomann or wait to see if anything comes up used :huh:
[/quote]

I did the latter, and I don't regret it - I was lucky and got a decent mid-range Shen for a lot less than the Thomann basses I was going to buy. I'd recommend looking for something used for a few months if you can stand to wait.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1329868446' post='1549019']
I did the latter, and I don't regret it - I was lucky and got a decent mid-range Shen for a lot less than the Thomann basses I was going to buy. I'd recommend looking for something used for a few months if you can stand to wait.
[/quote]

+1 Great value to be had if you're willing to wait and/or travel. :)

[quote name='Lazy James' timestamp='1329658959' post='1545398']
Hi again.

Just posting an update, I now have a budget of around £500 to get myself started on double bass. I'd prefer to buy used but pickings are really slim around the North East it seems. I'm currently thinking of getting a thomann 111E BR along with a set of Thomastik Spirocores for general pizz playing and arco at some point.
No bands planned with double bass in the near future, just something I want to learn for now!

[/quote]

If you can wait and add a bit more cash to your fund in the meantime, the Thomann 22 bass is much better VFM that the 111E (IMHO). They're about £750 on Thomann. There's a lot of activity in the DB for sale forum, so it's likely that something very nice will com up soon.