Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Players of the 70's

Born 2B Mild

The results of everyone's posts of their top Five Favourite Bass players of the 70's have been totted up.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15144&hl=born%202b%20mild"]See original thread[/url]

It was great to see a number of names that I personally was not aware of, so it has been nicely educational.

Despite the methodology having had as many holes in it as Rab C Nesbitt's vest, there was a 'winner'.

I have collated the results into the categories of :

[indent][b]Winner
Runners Up
Lonely Sods
Most Eclectic Post[/b][/indent]

I shall now post the results by category and in reverse order ...

The [i]Most Eclectic Post[/i] award goes to [b]Soulfinger[/b] who voted for five bass players that no one else cited. They were...

- Nate Phillips (Pleasure)
- Wilbur Bascomb (Jeff Beck, Hair soundtrack)
- Byron Miller (Herbie Hancock, George Duke...)
- Doug Rauch (Santana)
- Ross Valory (1st edition of Journey)

And for the Bass players that got only one Bass Chatter's vote, the joint winners of the [b]Lonely Sods [/b]award are...

Alphonso Johnson
Boris Gardner
Burke Shelley
Byron Miller
Chas Smash
Chris Cross
Cliff Williams
Danny Thompson
Dave Allen
Dave Pegg
Dee Murray
Doug Rauch
Duck Dunn
Felix Krish
Felix Papparlardi
Flabba Holt
George Murray
Jim Fielder
Jimmy Bain
John Gustafson
John Mackenzie
John McCoy
John reed
Joseph "Lucky" Scott
Kasim Sultan
Kelly Groucutt
Lee Sklar
Leigh Gorman
Lemmy
Lequient "Duke" Jobe
Marcus Miller
Mark Egan
Nate Phillips
Nathan Watts
Paul Gardiner
Paul Jackson
Paul McCartney
Peter Cetera
Richard Sinclair
Rick Laird
Robbie Shakespeare
Ross Valory
Russell Jackson
Steve Currie
Steve Swallow
Steven Severin
Stevie Wonder's left hand
Sting
Tiran Porter
Tom Scholz
Tony Levin
Tony Reeves
Trevor Bolder
Wilbur Bascomb

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='166897' date='Mar 31 2008, 02:34 PM']And for the Bass players that got only one Bass Chatter's vote, the joint winners of the [b]Lonely Sods [/b]award are...

Alphonso Johnson
Steve Swallow[/quote]

A travesty!!!

And (said in Jonathan Woss voice) for the Bass players that got multiple votes but didn't make the podium, the joint winners of the Runners Up award are...

Bernard Edwards 9
Bruce Foxton 9
Chris Squire 9
Geddy Lee 9
Phil Lynott 7
Andy Fraser 6
Dennis Dunaway 6
John Deacon Queen 6
Stanley Clarke 6
Chuck Rainey 5
Anthony Jackson 4
Aston Familyman Barrett 4
Larry Graham 4
Paul Simenon 4
Willie Weeks 4
James Jamerson 3
Martin Turner 3
Norman Watt-Roy 3
Peter Hook 3
Roger Waters 3
Alan Spenner 2
Barry Adamson 2
Bootsy Collins 2
Bruce Thomas 2
Colin Hodgkinson 2
Geezer Butler 2
Jerry Jemmott 2
Jim Lea 2
Louis Johnson 2
Neil Murray 2
Percy Jones 2
Roger Glover 2

And the Basschat polster's [b]second favourite bass player of the 70s [/b]is ...a tie!

So squeezing on to the podium is the Great, but trampled underfoot, [b]John Paul Jones [/b], who shares the honours with the Late (for the 5.15) [b]John Entwhistle[/b]

YEAH!!!!!!

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='166987' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:41 PM']I think more of bass players when they started out, so for me The Ox I think of as sixties.[/quote]

This may be heresy but I don't get The Who beyond the singles. I've tried listening to the albums but beyond a handful of singles, I don't see what the fuss was about.

(Puts tin hat on)

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='166992' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:42 PM']This may be heresy but I don't get The Who beyond the singles. I've tried listening to the albums but beyond a handful of singles, I don't see what the fuss was about.

(Puts tin hat on)[/quote]

We need a serious chat....................................... :)

I love the way The Ox played bass, but I hate the sound that comes out. His lines are amazing, I just hate the tone. Much prefered it on his earlier stuff before he started putting batteries in his bass.

Batteries in a bass??????

I still think the man's a legend though.

Edited by BigBeefChief

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='166987' date='Mar 31 2008, 03:41 PM']I think more of bass players when they started out, so for me The Ox I think of as sixties.[/quote]
Who's Next released 31 July 1971 (U.S.) 25 August 1971 (UK) - one of the best albums of all time IMHO. Not everyone will like it - some people like the Spice Girls!
Quadrophenia released 19 October 1973 - the last of the holy trinity along with Tommy.

Two of the Who's three best albums are from the 70's and only one from the 60's.

Also, as I mentioned when I voted, Marvin Gaye's Whats Going On was from the 70's and we all know who played bass on that.

And finally, the bassist that was cited the most as being their favourite bass player of the '70s is (drum roll)

[size=5][color="#000080"][font="Century Gothic"][b]John Francis Anthony "Jaco" Pastorius III [/b][/font][/color][/size]

Some might have predicted that, but who would have predicted that the top four in this poll were all named John!

So thanks to all that contributed. May the debate never end.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='167195' date='Mar 31 2008, 08:55 PM']And finally, the bassist that was cited the most as being their favourite bass player of the '70s is (drum roll)

[size=5][color="#000080"][font="Century Gothic"][b]John Francis Anthony "Jaco" Pastorius III [/b][/font][/color][/size]

Some might have predicted that, but who would have predicted that the top four in this poll were all named John!

So thanks to all that contributed. May the debate never end.[/quote]
Shocker.... honestly i don't think he was the best. I also don't believe there is a 'best'. Stuff like this is really subjective and really you need to stay withing one genre to name a 'best' for instance john paul jones and jaco are two entirely different players.

But yeah, predictable...

[quote name='budget bassist' post='167318' date='Mar 31 2008, 11:19 PM']Shocker.... honestly i don't think he was the best. I also don't believe there is a 'best'. Stuff like this is really subjective and really you need to stay withing one genre to name a 'best' for instance john paul jones and jaco are two entirely different players.

But yeah, predictable...[/quote]
I'm not a Jaco fan at all, have none of his music in my house except for one or two YouTube links on this PC, but I think it's really cool that the Poll has been 'won' by a real musician. Someone who worked outside of the mainstream but who has had a huge impact on the mainstream..

I love loads of the other players listed too, but this is a good outcome for 'music' and 'musicians' IMHO... Big thanks to Born 2B Mild for an entertaining thread!