Why become a member? ×

ohms?

deanbean502

I see you have an Ashdown Little Bastard head. I don't think it would go bellow 4 ohms, so you shouldn't plug both cabinets at the same time. Valve amps are usually very sensitive when it comes to ohms.

What's the 2x12 you're planning to get? If it's a good quality one (high sensitivity) you won't need your 1x12. Just keep it for smaller gigs and use the 2x12 for larger venues.

If you still think you should use both cabinets, better ask Ashdown. They reply real quick.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1324899749' post='1478305']
[size=4]You can use 1 8ohm cab, 2 8 ohm cabs or 1 4 ohm cab. You can't mix 8 ohm and 4 ohm or you might damage your amp. [/size]

[size=4]Do you really need more than a 212 cab? I reckon that would over most gigs.[/size]
[/quote]

Probably not but i do struggle over our guitarist, do you think its worth adding another 1x12?

To be fair though I have had my head in a 8ohm 4x10 and it still struggled

The cab i had in mind was a LB 212

Edited by deanbean502

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1324900492' post='1478316']
I think if you have a proper 2x12 or 4x10 and can't hear yourself in your band unfortunately you need a more powerful amp.

I don't know how good the Ashdown 1x12's are. If you like the sound of it, try adding another one. You'll get the same sound but louder.
[/quote]

To be fair i thought that thats why my rig is currently for sale :(

Have you seen these? [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Little-Bastard-LB-550-Ltd-Edition~ID~16357.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Little-Bastard-LB-550-Ltd-Edition~ID~16357.asp[/url]

If you like the sound of your little Bastard this should do it for you. With a good cabinet of course.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1324906191' post='1478364']
[size=4]The Ashdown Little Bastard looks like it's 30 watts? Is that right? [/size]

[size=4]30 watts is a practise amp! [/size]

[size=4]You need a bigger amp for better tone, more volume and more headroom, and I'd still get the 212.[/size]
[/quote]

I disagree to be honest £509 for a head to practise with is hell of a lot of money, however when i bought it i wasn't gigging so i see your point. But i have gigged it and DI ing it was fine.

Tone was excellent and volume was plenty loud enough I had my little bastard turned up about halfway. Do you not think just adding another 1x12 will suffice?

To be honest, I could never get my head around what motivated Ashdown to bring out this model.

A 30W amp certainly isn't practical for gigging with in many common band situations, regardless of how a manufacturer has worked out the output rating, and if I was paying £500 for an amp head then I'd certainly expect it to be gigable.

It doesn't really matter how many speakers or what type of speakers you hang off the back of it - it's always going to have a low output and by the time you've added a drummer and a 50W guitar combo or two you're going to be totally drowned out.
I'm guessing that you've already discovered this, hence the question about adding extra speakers?

DI'ing the amp, as you've done before, is really the only option if you intend using it live, that way the PA system is providing an alternative power amp and (hopefully) the foldback is man enough to allow you to hear yourself.

If you really like the tone of the LB the only other real alternative is to buy a power amp, use the DI out on your LB to feed it and hang some suitable size cabs off the back of that - a lot of mucking about though.

[quote name='deanbean502' timestamp='1325016770' post='1479192']
to be honest it does sound like a right pain in the arse, I might just bite the bullet and upgrade the head altogether
[/quote]

Yep that would be my favourite choice.
And, as always, the more complex a setup you have, the more chance there is of something going wrong or getting forgotten.