Why become a member? ×

Under what circumstances..

JTUK

In my punk covers band, we try to only play in the same town every 3 months or so, keep the crowd keen - we hope!

With things like this, I think it`s up to the venues to argue it out/promote the best night, and just let the bands get on and play. It`s nice to show loyalty to venues that have put you on in the past, but also, it`s good to see other venues trying to start up, and keep their business afloat.

If there was another punk covers band playing down the road from us, chances are we`d go and watch them, rather than play a gig ourselves.

I find it strange that the venue is listening to the pubs..but there is a tie-up I can't really elaborate on, so the venue has to heed the pubs opinions...even though it might sound somewhat deterimental to their new venture.

We are conscious of playing the same town too often which is why we generally only play one pub per town. The nearest other regular date we currently do is a village about 6 miles away and a town 10 miles away. We get about 3 gigs a year from those each... so maybe 9 in total in a region that might have 15-20 music venues. To give you a sense of the geography etc

The venue is fine with our showings so far..and the numbers that have attended. It just seems to me that we will have to blow out the pub/pubs that are making this an issue.

Or the venue will have to concentrate on out of town acts... and with that, it could mean the budget goes silly and/or little known acts...subjective... pull only a 100... which makes the venture dicier..????

But if it works out like that, I'll put the word out and come looking for a few of you guys..!! :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1324541543' post='1475280']
On the theatre / art centre / ticket venue circuit it's common.

On the pub scene, less so... there's a couple of 'music' pubs up here that politely ask you not to play at the pub over the road for a while either side of playing there. Depending on the circumstances, I think it's a reasonable request.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1324567060' post='1475701']
Running a band is as much a business as running a pub. End of. By all means work with venues to keep them sweet, but remind them that you're a business too and need to make money when you're not gracing their venue etc...
[/quote]

Believe me running a pub is in all ways much tougher than running a band - assuming we are talking non-pro, semi-pro type bands

In todays tough economy I really feel for publicans - it must be so hard

It's been tried on and we stamped on it in no uncertain terms - we actually refused to play at a venue because they wanted to pull that stunt.

My own argument with them was a simple one - ' fair enough , you pay me fifty notes to sit at home watching TV and I won't play in your town that night.'