Why become a member? ×

Take That

Pete Academy

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1324498673' post='1475045']
Dave's a good bloke, and an awesome guitarist. Last time I heard from him he was playing in the pit for We Will Rock You, and also doing Wakeman's band.

So Jay Aston's taken up music again, has she? Last I heard she was teaching music and dance at a school in Bromley. Let's just hope she never gets roped into a Buck's Fizz reunion. :D
[/quote]

HI Dude....guess you've not seen that Jay is back in 'The Original Bucks Fizz' with Mike and Cheryl....? Dave's no longer doing WWRY and has been doing odds and sods teaching etc and doing the Fizz gigs with Cheryl's hubby on bass of course! Jay's Stage school is still going in Bromley too

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324409115' post='1473969']
Was at a Dunnery house concert last night. He's a funny bugger, but him and Dorie work magic together.

Take That are seriously good. I saw some of the concert on the TV the other day. Very impressive and some really good songwriting, and a great show.
[/quote]

Frank is an odd one, I've always fancied one of his house gigs though. Problem is I'd keep wanting to hear Old Man and the Angel or Once Around the World.

Small claim to fame, my band supported It Bites on part of their Once Around the World UK tour; happy days :D

Sorry a bit OT there :unsure:

Regarding Robbie's writing and particularly with reference to 'Angels' - check out Ray Heffernan's Youtube video. In essence it was his song - and he sold his rights for £7,500. That's got to be one of the biggest mistake anyone has made in recent years, but as he says "I was naive.... I was 23".

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJZz86Wdgk[/media]

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1324501696' post='1475092']
Frank is an odd one, I've always fancied one of his house gigs though. Problem is I'd keep wanting to hear Old Man and the Angel or Once Around the World.

Small claim to fame, my band supported It Bites on part of their Once Around the World UK tour; happy days :D

Sorry a bit OT there :unsure:
[/quote]

You enjoy it whatever he played mate :) He did Kiss Like Judas and Still Too You To Remember on Monday, they were superb! As were all of the songs.

What was your band and where did you play with them?

It's very 'in' lately to laud it up about Take That. My wife, who watched this concert, said it made her cringe. This being a women whom wantonly enjoys singing along to Aggadoo if it comes on the radio.

I caught the bit where the big human figure was 'travelling' down the runway stage. All looked a bit daft to me and it would have not surprised me one bit to find out Derek Smalls was playing bass that night.

Give me a great band over the pomp and production any day, but took the missus to the Manchester show and for what it was, it was great. It's not everyone's thing and I imagine it wouldn't appeal to most on BC, but I'd rather see this sort of gig than some crooners like westlife sat on stools singing ballads all night. [u]In their field[/u] Take That are certainly the best.

As for the actual 'band', it's funny that for 99% of the punters they probably went completely unnoticed, yet it's the type of gig where the pressure to perform absolutely perfectly must be so high.

Plus the fact that a U.K Take That tour would draw and pay for the best around... so the band is going to be great come regardless of the up front talent.

I don't get the 'legendary' status though....vocally they are very average but have some good songs in the back catalogue.

They must have hit the nail right on the head and I do prefer them to the other bands like
Westlife or Boyzone or whoever..!!

Gary Barlow is a very good songwriter - it's just a shame that the vehicle he's chosen to present his songs is a "boy band" (even though they're all in their late 30s and early 40s now).

Although, to be fair, back in their day, The Beatles were presented as a boy band (probably the first boy band in the modern sense), so having that classification doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility of musical talent. Although, looking at the likes of what has come since, such as Blue, Big Fun, New Kids, N-Sync, etc, you'd be forgiven for thinking so. :D

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1324509917' post='1475177']
You enjoy it whatever he played mate :) He did Kiss Like Judas and Still Too You To Remember on Monday, they were superb! As were all of the songs.

What was your band and where did you play with them?
[/quote]

The ban was/is The Quest. We did about 6 or 7 dates on the first part of the tour. Exact venues are a bit hazy but I distinctly remember Rooftops in Glasgow coz it was a bugger of a get in (lift to 3rd floor and then walk up one further story). Also gigged with them in Northampton, Redcar and a few other places (if I could find my scrapbook I'd be able to be more exact). Sadly our drummer decided to get all ill with glandular fever and we had to pull out on the eve of our hometown gig in Liverpool :angry: