Why become a member? ×

New Year, new band (hopefully)

solo4652

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Folks,[/color]

[color=#000000]I'm looking for a covers band playing good-time soft-rock, pop, soul, motown, indie in Manchester, Macclesfield, East Cheshire areas. I'm reliable, hard-working, easy-going, prepared to help lug the drummer's kit at rehearsals and gigs and I learn songs before rehearsals - yes![/color]

[color=#000000]I'm not looking for record deals or world tours. I'd very happily settle for a friendly bunch of people playing for fun and beer money.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I'm regularly searching the usual band-member websites. To further increase my chances of success, maybe somebody can help me find what I'm looking for,[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Steve[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by solo4652

Hi, not sure I've I've got deja vue, or whether I've contacted you before? We formed a group about 3 months ago that hasn't amounted to anything, so we are trying to get like-minded people together in the new year to form a really good covers band.
We want to do covers from Rolling Stones, Dr Feelgood, Neil Young, right through to Kings of Leon, Miles Kane, Vintage Trouble. We are putting adverts out for a drummer and rhythm guitarist, and a bassist.

I am the lead guitarist, got lots of gear and all the band gear we'll ever need. We rent a rehearsal room in Prestwich Manchester for about £125 per month between us. My wife, Joy, sings backing with some songs of her own, and we have a couple of possible lead singers to try out for us.

If you'd like the setlist, and a couple of links to our last charity gig send a message to [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
cheers
Ash

[quote name='Strewth' timestamp='1324324301' post='1473073']
Hi, not sure I've I've got deja vue, or whether I've contacted you before? We formed a group about 3 months ago that hasn't amounted to anything, so we are trying to get like-minded people together in the new year to form a really good covers band.
We want to do covers from Rolling Stones, Dr Feelgood, Neil Young, right through to Kings of Leon, Miles Kane, Vintage Trouble. We are putting adverts out for a drummer and rhythm guitarist, and a bassist.

I am the lead guitarist, got lots of gear and all the band gear we'll ever need. We rent a rehearsal room in Prestwich Manchester for about £125 per month between us. My wife, Joy, sings backing with some songs of her own, and we have a couple of possible lead singers to try out for us.

If you'd like the setlist, and a couple of links to our last charity gig send a message to [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
cheers
Ash
[/quote]

Hi Ash. I've replied to the message you sent to me via Join My Band.

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you Dave.

I'm having a pause for thought about my bass playing, and the sort of bands I'm looking for.

I don't know what your recent experience is, but I've found that there are plenty of bloke-rock/classic rock bands out there that need bassists, and there are plenty of young songwriters who want to break into the bigtime with their own brand of Ocean Colour Scene/Nirvana/I am Kloot type stuff. Full respect to anybody who gets out there and plays what floats their boat, but neither of these are quite what I'm after.

Straight-forward, semi-cheesy, good-time party music, with easy-going people is what I seek, but it's proving elusive. Maybe I'll have to use the Christmas break to have a bit of a serious re-appraisal of what I'm offering and what I'm seeking.

Edited, having stuck my head in a bucket of cold water for a while.

Steve

Edited by solo4652

Steve, yes.
One band is party dance female fronted disco,which I like but they are about as efficient as Mr Putins little vote counters.
They seem to think they can up their game drastically, but don`t think they need to till the offer of the big gig comes in.
I try to explain the big gigs won`t come in if they don`t up their game but they aren`t having it.
Band two were complete dad rock let`s get pissed with our mates during the gig and who cares if the drummer doesn`t actually know how to drum.
Lasted a gig with them.
Band three looked great, aimed high,had a very non dad rock set and were super organised. I didn`t get that one :lol:
Band four are a bit dad rock, but are mainly a wedding/function band so do a lot of non dad rock stuff and are open to modernisation, which is partly why I took the gig.

I think the only way to truly avoid playing "allright now" and"johnny B good" is to find a female fronted function band.
That way you get to play stuff like Chic and Gaga and Jamiriquai.

My way out is going for a quieter jazz/dance styled band with no less than 3 women in it. ;)
Much less testosterone about.

I must admit I'm finding it harder than ever to find a band. Don't know if that's my age (I'm 42), the economic climate taking its toll, or me having unrealistically high standards - i.e. wanting to play with people who can actually play, stay sober and display a vaguely professional approach (e.g. turn up on time, learn the songs, rehearse occasionally that sort of thing). Of course I could just be rubbish and socially dysfunctional!

Down here - in East Kent - the only options appear to be metal, classic rock, or twentysomethings playing originals influenced by the Kings of Leon.

[quote name='JPS' timestamp='1324461936' post='1474369']
I must admit I'm finding it harder than ever to find a band. Don't know if that's my age (I'm 42), the economic climate taking its toll, or me having unrealistically high standards - i.e. wanting to play with people who can actually play, stay sober and display a vaguely professional approach (e.g. turn up on time, learn the songs, rehearse occasionally that sort of thing). Of course I could just be rubbish and socially dysfunctional!

Down here - in East Kent - the only options appear to be metal, classic rock, or twentysomethings playing originals influenced by the Kings of Leon.
[/quote]

It's definitely not an East Kent phenomenon! I too would reagrd myself as somebody who can play to a reasonable standard, stays sober and displays vaguely professional behaviour. But, since finding a band has proved so hard, I'm now wondering whether I'm rubbish or socially dysfunctional. I lasted 3 rehearsals with my last band before receiving the most unbelievably patronising email from the band leader who then went on to post a rude and defamatory reply to my "available" ad on Join My Band. I complained to the moderator who promptly removed the message. Outrageous. All-in-all, not good at all for your confidence and it can make it hard to keep looking.

Having said all that, I've been approached by some people who seem really friendly and keen to meet me. They've been very receptive to my tentative suggestions about their setlist and I'm looking forward to meeting them next week. Fingers crossed.

I can confirm its been the same in this part of the country. Had a really concerted effort to get into a nice easy going function type band and unfortunately had nothing but disappointment so far. The arrogance of some individuals I've had the joy of auditioning for, has on occasion, been 'interesting' to say the least.

Still, here's to a better 2012......