Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliott signature sound

Stratosphere

So I'm a 2 month learner and have picked up a good condition Trace Elliott 715 Combo 200w amp from another forum member. Very pleased with it, just what I needed.

It starts up with the 7 band equaliser off and the 'Pre Shape' on which is a bit of a pain 'cos it doesn't sound that good to my ear (in my living room with active Ibanez SR300) but once I've fiddled it's great and I'm very happy (Pre shape off, Equaliser on ...).

Manual says:

[b][font="Times New Roman"](6) PRE SHAPE switch[/font][/b]
[font="Times New Roman"]This activates the circuit for the classic Trace Elliot ‘Mid Pre-Shape’ that all users of previous Trace[/font]
[font="Times New Roman"]Elliot graphic style amplifiers will recognise immediately. As it is our ‘signature sound’, these[/font]
[font="Times New Roman"]amplifiers are designed to default to this setting when initially turned on. When this is activated the[/font]
[font="Times New Roman"]yellow LED is lit.[/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]So what is the TE signature sound meant to be anyone? I assume it'll sound vastly different in a larger space?[/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]Thanks,[/font]
[font="Times New Roman"]Ed[/font]

It will sound better at higher volumes, and one thing that I`ve usually found is that a good solo-ed bass sound doesn`t fit well in the mix with a band. Likewise, I`ve also found that sounds I don`t really like on their own work really well in the mix. So try it in a larger rehearsal area, you may find it works well for you.

I don't go for the bad solo sound sounds good in the mix myself and it is pretty hit and miss that it will work if you have no FOH reference so I get the best sound for me and
my style and go from there.

I know the band mix is good and uncluttered as it is one of the first things that gets commented on..and my bass just layers on that.
As fro the trad TE sound..it is mid scooped...
The Graphic will have a classic smiley look with the faders.of which you only have 7...

The sound will be raspy and full as the highs and lows are mainly slightly boosted....
Tbh...with only 7 faders..there is a limit to what this can do..and you would be best off taking the TE sound..mimic the default and boost the mids to your taste..that is assuming you can't get the bassto work to your pre..with the preset switched in.

There is not a lot ot go wrong with that sound..in the main..but if it doesn't work..??
If your bass is active...set that bass as flat on the dials and go from there.

TE amps are worth perservering with...so don't write of the sound as yet.

Bombproof kit...pretty basic by todays standard but many don't need much more...

I always found that the pre-shape button added loads of bass and treble and cut the mids, where that may sound good when playing alone for me having the pre-shape off fitted with playing with my band so much better. But when I used to have that pre-shape on I was always thinking hmm need more mids in that so using the graphic was boosting the mids without thinking I was cutting them at the same time....anyways hope you get on well with it, I've had Trace Elliots now for around 10 years

Took my V4 to rehearsal this eve but didn't wind up using it as there was an old 1215 SMX combo there. I thought I'd give it a go and it sounded great inspite of having the wrong speaker in it.

I've used Trace stuff for many, many years and i would say pre-shape by itself is a little too 'clumsy' but with use of the graphic,a great sound can be achieved. I've always found 'my' sound quite easily with Trace Elliot equipment whether it be a 7 band, 12 band or V-Type model.

I do think simply slapping a 'smiley' on an EQ is a bit of a waste. I always suggest people start with a flat EQ and whilst playing, fully boost and cut each frequency individually so they better understand how each band affects their program..

Gotta Love 'em!

As mentioned the pre-shape on TEs gives you an instant seagull-shaped EQ with plenty of mids scooped out. These days I would rather just use the graphic and be a little less aggressive on the scoop. To my ears the pre-shape takes you to straight to that 80s slap and pop funk tone - almost like putting a Precision down and picking up a Stingray. I think Trace's are terrific amps with great punchy character and that comes through even with the pre-shape off where a warmer sound with more mids intact can be found. That graphic is pretty useful and at a glance you can see right what you're doing.

Many thanks all, all comments very useful indeed and taken on board.

I haven't been able to crank the thing up to decent power yet (neighbours) but as soon as they go out ... :) Also I'm nowhere near slapping yet, still working on scales, arpeggios and a few basic riffs and songs so I'm sure all the various settings I have to play with on the amp and the bass will all make sense in due course. I'm mostly playing with flat settings on the bass and a sort of wave on the equaliser which has given me the warm tone I'm looking for at the moment so it's all good, just needed to understand what the TE sound was supposed to be doing.

Cheers,
Ed