Why become a member? ×

Akai Deep Impact... really?

ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' timestamp='1323735547' post='1466502']
Ok so I just noticed an Akai SB-1 Deep Impact on fleabay with an asking price of £650. So I've never played through one or even knowingly heard one but I know they are well rated, but really? £650? *That* good? Someone tell me what it's all about...

ficelles
[/quote]

They are not...they're pretty good but for that price I'd buy a proper synthesiser!

I had one for about a year and just didnt get on with it, found it quite cheesy sounding like 80's pop. I play different music these days so id quite like to try one out again, but no way would I ever pay these prices.

I've said it before but though the filters give quite a powerful funky sound, they sound very lo-fi compared to a proper synth (not in a good way) and the flexibility/editability is rubbish with a fair number of the oscillator configs being of very limited use. How good are the Roland bass guitar midi converters? Because if you linked one of them up even to something cheap like a minikorg then it would destroy the Deep Impact in every conceivable way!

My singer uses a Godin Synth access guitar into a Roland GK20 & then a Microkorg (or sometimes a Yamaha SY?) & gets some brilliant sounds.
I've considered going down the synth route a few times, but for now I want to see how I can manipulate the sound via pedals.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1323795804' post='1467204']
on their own, the SB-1 sounds are a tad cheesy.

blend them with fuzz, or feed them into other pedals and the results can be massive.
[/quote]

I'm sure they reward tweaking, but £650 would get you a decent 2nd hand synth. Plus you can learn to play basic keys which is always useful.