Why become a member? ×

Recommend me an advanced bass line/piece for an exam performance

markyboy2106

Hi there

I have to perform an advanced bass piece as part of an upcoming exam. I'm also a teacher and have a feeling it could onto the college's end of year show as well so I'm looking for something that is impressive, fun to learn and play, and challenging. I've done the usual Jaco stuff (Blackbird, Portrait of Tracy, Teen Town, Birdland) before and was looking for something a little different.

I hope given the eclectic nature of basschat I might get some interesting suggestions

Cheers

M

Maybe you could try to compose one? More of a realistic way to demonstrate technical ability and creativity than just to regurgitate (however well!) a well established bass solo.

If you don't fancy composing one, or time doesn't permit, perhaps one of Paganini's Caprices? No. 5 in A minor comes to mind as a good one.

Mark

Since you appear to be a Jaco fan and have some of his technique
I might suggest his version of "Amerika".
It makes a nice solo piece.

Mike Dimin also has a few chordal solo pieces available [url="http://www.michaeldimin.com/licks.htm"]HERE[/url].
Definitely worth a look...

[quote name='GonzoBass' post='165440' date='Mar 28 2008, 05:57 PM']Since you appear to be a Jaco fan and have some of his technique
I might suggest his version of "Amerika".
It makes a nice solo piece.

Mike Dimin also has a few chordal solo pieces available [url="http://www.michaeldimin.com/licks.htm"]HERE[/url].
Definitely worth a look...[/quote]

I forgot to mention I had done Amerika also. It's fantastic to play and a beautiful piece. I love the bass line to Dry Cleaner from Des Moines by Jaco with joni Mitchell. Definitely worth a listen, but definitely something which is ore of an accompaniment rather than a stand alone piece. Thanks for the other suggestions I'll check them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...